Mullet, Madness

Stoaty

Saturday afternoon, Gillingham Pier, 3pm (ebbing tide), fiddling around on the boat, the other half says to me, "Look over there quick" ..... I looked and there was a group of three mullet feeding on the scum on the surface of the water. That's the earliest in the year I have ever seen them by a long, long, way. I don't normally expect them to be around the boat till late march early april. The water temperature was reading 6.3°C and It was sunny.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that must be a record. I though the one I caught in mid March a couple of years ago at Gillingham Pier was early. I'm ultra keen to get out after them again, but I'll still leave it a couple of months notwithstanding.

Andrew Boyd

Bloody Mullet!

When will they learn the rules?

Conventional wisdom says that they don't feed until the water is around 10C !

Mind you I was planting my garlic out yesterday, something I usually have to steel myself for, dress up in woolies and expect the cold soil to freeze my fingertips.

But I was soon down to my T-shirt, the soil felt warm and with plenty of lob worms at the surface (I collected a few for a trip to fish the Itchen in a couple of weeks)

Funny old times we are in.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I couldn't tell what they were Matt. I must admit it did feel very warm and spring like on Saturday. I kept my eye open for more on Sunday but there was a slight ripple on the water and it was much cooler and I didn't see anything.

At the same time we saw the Mullet a cormorant was having a feast of spratts over the angling side of the dock.