Line Knots When Spinning

emerger

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice please. I normally fly fish but have recently bought a spinning outfit - a Greys Missionary Spin 15-35gms, and Okuma Interceptor IBF50 reel loaded with Ron Thompson Dyna Cable braid.

When fishing for pike yesterday using 13gm Rapala lures I got tangles in the braid on a number of occasions. I couldn't work out whether they were being created on the cast or the retrieve. Anyone any idea what it is I'm doing wrong or this likely to be a common occurance with this type of fishing?

Thanks

John

Hi emerger and welcome to AnglersNet.

Line knots should not be a common happening unless you are using really small diameter braid. For some reason, I have trouble with wind knots if I drop below 15lb b/s in the PowerPro I normally use.

I suspect they are caused by some twisting on the retrieve and especially when I lose my head and wind in while the fish is taking line against the clutch. I know that causes problems but even after all these years, I tend to get overly excited with a large fish on.

Using a too-light lure will prevent the rod tip from really loading up when you cast and the 13gm lure on a rod rated for 15+gm could be adding to your woes.

Are you using a wire trace? If so, is it tied to the mainline with a swivel?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

prety much what newt said, not enough weight on the line for it to properly align on the spool (usualy causes it to jump out causing a loop) and if lure isnt attached by swivel and swivel on main line attached to wire trace without the swivels it would normaly only cause line twist not tangles try the maximum weight the rod specifies and see if that helps. Also apply more presure with your fingers when reeling in so the line goes more firmly onto the spool

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Make a HABBIT of placing tension on the line as you reel in at a ratio of 1 to 5 as it will HELP! I have forced myself to learn and it has now become HABIT. The line when wound onto the spool of Spinning reels needs a little resistance to lay on them correctly. After about 3-4 casts, it has become loose and as you cast will allow multiple loops to pull off at once. This is about 97% accurate and has worked for me since my change and learned behaviour. This in conjunction with the swivel at the leader and possibly at the lure will make a BIG difference. JMHO!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

Fireline, fireline, fireline.

OK, that's the easy soution done , now for the practical bit.

There are two basic problems to deal with, the first is twisted line rolling up as it comes off the spool (a classic "wind knot") and this can only really be avoided by using a stiffer line (Like fireline) and upping the weight of your lures so there is no slack durring the cast.

The second is loose loops of line that get laid down on (or partially on) the spool on the fist turn of the handle after a cast is made. These can spill off and tangle or just interfere with the subsequent cast. For me, this is mainly a problem at night because you don't see it happen and the best solution I've found is to cast, point the rod at the flying lure durring the cast and sweep it back as you engage the reel. This ensures that the line is tight and solves the problem.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the tips, something for me try this weekend.

Just to add a bit more info, it was windy (but that's what it was bought for, a back up when too windy to fly fish on foreign trips) and the braid I was using was 0.25mm (45lbs) so not really that thin.

I was using a wire trace which did have a swivel at each end. I did fish a heavier lure for a while and it didn't happen with that but I wasn't catching fish on it hence going back to the smaller one.

I like the idea of keeping tension on the line when rewinding and will try that. I like Ken's suggestion of engaging the reel whilst sweeping the rod back and will try that as well. Both will require a bit on concentration and practice. I had planned to fly fish tomorrow but the rivers are high & dirty so noisy lures will probably be more effective, if so I'll get plenty of chance to practice.

Cheers

John

Only too happy to blame the angler as I'm new to this spinning lark.

Did use it for a couple of hours on Saturday and twice got knots. Noticed that if I retrieved with the rod pointing at the lure it didn't happen. When I tried to use the rod movement to impart lure movement and then reel in the slack I was getting the problem. Still didn't see it happen but am now assuming that it was on the retrieve.

Obviously need to keep practicing.

John

When the blade on a spinner rotates, it causes the main body to anti-gyrate in the opposite direction (like a helicopter), so you need a swivel on the line, either in the form of snap-link, at the the end of your line for quick lure changes, or a normal swivel a few inches up the line from your spinner. This prevents the anti-gyration of the spinner body from twisting your line. Problem solved.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...