vacuum cleaner help !

Dog Fish

I have a bagless Hoover which was given to me ( it was almost new ) as it was not sucking up the dirt. Took out the dirt container and found the inward port ( you almost have to turn the thing over to view this ) from the hose was clogged by a pencil and pet hairs. Cleaned it out and it has been fantastic ever since.

Often over the years ( and several vacume cleaners ) when my wife has mentioned it does not seem to be picking up much, turn the cleaner over and a quick check ( unplug first ) will show if the rubber drive belt is broken. So far I have found it a simple job to replace ( with my latest Hoover 2 screws and 5 mins ).

I dust with the cleaner hose and brush, much better than a duster and polish displacing the dust into the air and onto the floor. :rolleyes:

In general...

What people forget to do on empting the container ( or bag ) is check the pick up brush and port in the base, most vacume cleaners I have checked for friends are either mostly or part clogged with muck plus hairs/cotton/carpet fluf which is easly removed ( use the tynes of a fork ) and suction is back to normal. If their are filters between the dirt chamber and the motor make sure you clean these, if they clog the motor does not receive a blast of cooling air and will soon over heat.

I now have a reputation with my wife's friend for being the person to call when their cleaner is not working. It's only because in former years we were too poor to replace or pay for a repair that I HAD to do it myself. When your back's against the wall you can, almost, do anything. It was so simple I now never have to bother calling on paid assistance again. One golden rule, if it's truly buggered then admit defeat.

Anyone reading this from the MMG will not be expected to bring their cleaners along to the next meeting!! <_<

Our last cleaner was made of green plastic, we had not had it long when green lines appeared on the skirting boards about 1cm up from the carpet whenever my wife cleaned. Pointed this out to her and she said "strange", so the next time she cleaned i had to ask her not bash the thing about like a dodgem car! :headhurt:

Andrew Boyd

Our second vacuum cleaner has just packed up, smells like the motors burned out.

Wifey wants any recommendations for a replacement (not a Dyson!) - needs to stand up to pet hairs (2 hairy dogs). Ideally an upright model that is quite powerful - 1800 watts or above. Pet turbo tool also useful to keep wifey busy. Budget up to £150 as they just don't last! :angry::angry:

Cheers lads

Well we have a Kirby that is as good as when we bought it over 20 years ago. They ain't cheap but they really are good. You will need to get a rep to your home to buy it unless you can get a 2nd/hand one. If you do get a rep in with a new one, don't think that you have to buy all of the accessories that go with it and don't pay the price he asks. Keep telling him that you aren't interested until he won't go any lower. A good 2nd/hand one is almost as good as a new one after a good service.

Doesn't your house hold contents insurance cover fusion?

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

henry the same as five bellies.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith