But there are so few fishermen aren't there?

ColinW

Hi Colin,

Apologies. My mistake in wording. What I should have said was, ‘Oh, how easy it is to jump to conclusions. I wish I had a pound in my pocket every time I have heard someone (who has never done the job) say that they have a better understanding of someone’s job than the person who has done it for a lifetime.’

If I were to put it more correctly, I assume you are saying that the increase in technological advancement in the British fishing industry over recent years is at least equal to the cutbacks that DEFRA and MAFF before them have made over the same period. That is a statement that I feel I would not be qualified to make at this present time. To be honest, I don’t know who is.

You may have read one of my previous posts on the forum, which said that after I had been to a meeting with DEFRA, I was surprised and disappointed in their lack of understanding of all who fish and how they do it. After all, they have had many years to learn something about what they are in charge of and are supposedly competent to make rules for.

After further investigation into this matter, I was told that there had been a big shake up within DEFRA. Many staff had been replaced, and although certain practical knowledge had been lost, a new game was in play with different rules. So all we can hope for at this time is that a greater understanding of all who fish will eventually be achieved and sensible and effective rules will be made accordingly. Hopefully fish conservation will take precedence over job conservation within DEFRA. After all, we are still talking about civil servants, albeit the new and improved variety.

JB

I think that lack of understanding goes for all of the civil service departments and politicians, they make sweeping statements with little or no knowledge of the nitty gritty aspects, the things which really matter, and why should they after all they are civil servants and politicians :rolleyes:

But who is really to blame?

The public at large in the UK because 50% plus don't even bother to vote.

I know about twenty local anglers really well all great guys and when ever I meet up with one the chat is great, but they all have one thing in common, they moan about the size of fish, the lack of fish etc. and yet none of them follow up by joining and supporting organizations which are trying their best to sort out the situation.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

stavey,

I know some body asked you the same thing befor...hundreds of under tens??? how do you arrive at that figure?? well a quick way is to call your local defra office, wheres yours? pompy? where ever, it does not matter, and ask how many under ten boats are in your area, and what type of fishing they persue, (that WILL surprise you, ) I promise you where ever you are it will not be hundreds local to you, try it, freedom of information, and all that, are you aware that out of the total allowable catch around the whole of the UK that 96% is held by 1300 licence holders over 10meters, of which up to a quarter of them are not on working boats, and are used as a comodidty to rent and trade,with any EU partner, not bad for a national resource, AND now we come to the remaining 4% of the fish left swimming as TAC, 5300 under ten boats, break this down, lets start at the bottom, the "wanabees" part timers, that play, the sharp ones that know if you own a registered fishing dingy, you can buy your petrol and say you are putting it in your outboard, and claim your duty back .....and the 2 family cars run for next to nothing!!!!!better than chancing pink deisel!! then the many boats that are just inactive, which narrows things down considerably, NOW devide that around the entire coast line of the UK where do your hundreds on your BIT of coast come from ??? please feel free to e.mail me with a phone No it will make an interesting conversation,

Hi nigel2

There are 400 registered fishing boats in my area according to ssfc website

http://www.sussex-sfc.gov.uk/about_the_fishery.htm

10% of these are over 10 metres leaving around 360 under 10's now a lot of these boats will be potting maybe? but as it says! they are very diverse and switch around on availability of what is about ie, netting for fish or potting for crab/lobsters maybe even doing both at the same time? a few pots here and a fleet or two of gilnets there if you know what i mean? any way it all adds up along with the beamers from belgium and trawlers from france and indeed our own local boys to a lot of pressure in such a small area of ground dont you agree?????????

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Does anyone know links to find the name of the individual boats port by port

Ian Try http://statistics.defra.gov.uk/esg/publica...els/default.asp

Copy and paste to your own excel spreadsheet and yo can sort and search as you please :)

Leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust