Coarse fishing near Ashby De-La Zouch

Errrm

Hi,

I've trying to start fishing again after about 10 years and after moving to a new area I have no idea of the places to fish ( I have moved to Ashby De-La Zouch ). The places I have found on the internet so far appear to be day ticket carp waters which is fine but I'm worried that only modern carp tactics would catch ( ledger, bollies etc ). I want a place to fish that I can float fish with fairly basic baits maggots, lunchmeat, sweetcorn etc. Does anyone know if these tactics work on venues such as Springwood Fisheries, Willesley Lakes or Groby Lakes ( all near where I live ) or can you suggest a better location.

Thanks

Errrm

Hello Errrm, and welcome to AnglersNet :)

I think you'll find that most of the 'carp' lakes will have a good head of perch, roach, tench etc in there as well, it's just that hardly anyone fishes for them there. If you don't want to target carp, I'd suggest you try one or two of these places with light(ish) float tackle and see what turns up in the margins.

I don't know the places you mentioned, but hopefully someone on here will :thumbs:

Tight lines, John S

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Errrm,

Too far north for me but there are a few North Leicestershire posters who may reply.

Don't worry about the boilie/multi-rod leger approach, I prefer to either surface fish or margin float fish, just using simple baits like luncheonmeat and sweetcorn close in will still catch all species, although it is usually hard to avoid the carp.

There's details of a few Leicestershire waters on http://www.fisheries.co.uk, one northern one you did not mention is http://www.fisheries.co.uk/jandsfishing/index.htm.

WickerDave.

Did you read the details of that on http://www.fisheries.co.uk/riddings/index.htm?

That seems a fair way to travel. If we keep bumping this to the top maybe the North Leicestershire posters will eventually respond with more local advice :(. Or you could pretend you are an exotic foreign female to get more responses :blink:.

lol :wallbash:

Yeah I've read that page, it's where I got the initial information from and it's only about 12 miles from where I live so it's not too bad.

I think I'm going to try it this saturday unless I hear it's really bad.

Errrm

• 3 weeks later...
Re the "I have fished it once and it was good, I'm going again this sunday.", how was it for species variety and sizes?

I was only there for about 4-5 hours and hadn't really got the right tackle to catch, but I managed a few car up to about 2 pounds and a few crusician carp and skimmer bream. The people across the lake where fishing with method feeders and caught better with some fish that looked like they might get to 4-5lbs. I went for a second time last weekend and there were a couple of matches on ~70 people in all, I saw only about 3 fish caught all day :wallbash:

It's a really nice venue though so I'll probably go again to see if I can do any better this weekend, also the cafe is open in the morning now.