Fuming........

Guest Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

As a local to Swanshurst park I was interested and intrigued to see the pool being partially drained recently so the sluice could be repaired. I was saddened to hear however that the pool would be netted and the fish sold to another water and then restocked (with the usual array of small fry as per council policy).

What really made me mad however is to here that the local TV news today had reports of up to 100 dead carp flapping around in the mud as it was fully drained today!!! I know for a fact one or two of these carp topped 20lb so it will take more than just a while to unofficially restock this pool (which is what will happen (although not by me)).

When I heard this evening I went down to look but no carp were seen, but there were plenty of other small dead fish and there were two eels (guess about 3lb in weight) one dead and one alive which when I tried to catch it vanished into the silt probably never to surface again.

Really, really **** off with it all. :schmoll::angry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_64...bw=bb&mp=wm

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Moving fish, especially as many would be coming up to spawning, is an emotive subject.

Councils must all have the same book on draining their ponds. We've had two lakes ruined up my way, with most of the bigger fish being netted and sold.

Amazing how much 'essential' work gets performed in a hasty manner by Councils just before the end of March, eh? :( A cynic would suggest that it's to do with their end of financial year.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

What a surprise that PETA and the RSPCA were nowhere to be seen. Surely, the RSPCA should be up in arms and prosecuting the council over this? Oh I forgot - they were only fish weren't they? It just goes to prove what I have been saying for a long time - if ever there is a crisis such as this, it is always the anglers who are the only ones willing to jump in and do the dirty work. PETA wouldn't want to get their hands dirty to save the life of a mere fish.

Just to get it on the record, is there any chance of any of the locals demanding that the RSPCA take action against the council to see what their reaction is?

On second thoughts, the council would then react by saying they were banning angling on the lake; supposedly to protect the fish from anglers, but in reality, a pathetic way of getting their own back for having their callousness and inefficiency exposed to the media.

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Guest Rabbit

Phil, I can imagine how you must feel, I too saw the report on the t.v news. There was not a council representative to be seen. The fact that carp can withstand being out of the water for some time makes this a needless slaughter.

The local council that control Pitville Park in Cheltenham, have the same attitude, when we these people that are supposed to serve the peoples best interest act responsibily and take advice before they display their incompetence.

What a surprise that PETA and the RSPCA were nowhere to be seen. Surely, the RSPCA should be up in arms and prosecuting the council over this?

And the EA sanctioned/licenced it and most probably carried it out!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!