marker float

hello all

this is my first post infact i joined this forum to ask this exact question but after reading the help and advise i think ill become a regular.

ive only been carp fishing for about 2 years been a course angler for ages, ive just bought my self a marker kit pretty sure the set up i use works well (nicked it off this forum) the thing is not quite sure what im feeling for i know what im looking for (chod, silt, gravel bars, weed ect) but dont know what knocks and taps meen what. hope you can shed some light on the problem

yours hopefully

scott

Hi Scott and welcome to AN.

Hopefully you are using braid for the increased sensitivity it offers. As for learning what a certain 'feel' tells you is on the bottom, that is very much a matter of teaching your hands how to interpret the various knocks and taps.

Some are obvious such as dragging/hanging softly and breaking free for weed or a steady drag indicating some depth of silt. Others can give you more details but I can't think of a better way to find out than using the rig in the shallows where you can see what the bottom is (directly or getting a small amount in your net) and then figuring out how it feels when you drag along it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hopefully you are using braid for the increased sensitivity it offers. As for learning what a certain 'feel' tells you is on the bottom, that is very much a matter of teaching your hands how to interpret the various knocks and taps.

Some are obvious such as dragging/hanging softly and breaking free for weed or a steady drag indicating some depth of silt. Others can give you more details but I can't think of a better way to find out than using the rig in the shallows where you can see what the bottom is (directly or getting a small amount in your net) and then figuring out how it feels when you drag along it.

hi newt

yeah i am using a floating braid for my mainline (tfg banana braid). suppose i just need to get out and practice with it thanks for the advice

scott

hi newt

yeah i am using a floating braid for my mainline (tfg banana braid). suppose i just need to get out and practice with it thanks for the advice

scott

If you are planning to fish the peg straight after using the marker float then can I suggest you change to a different braid or at the very least colour in the last 20 meters with a marker pen. A bright yellow braid will not help your catch rate. Good luck.

Anthony

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

If you are planning to fish the peg straight after using the marker float then can I suggest you change to a different braid or at the very least colour in the last 20 meters with a marker pen. A bright yellow braid will not help your catch rate. Good luck.

Anthony

hi anthony

thats a good point didnt really think of that thanks

Newts sugestion of actually trying in margins where you can see the bottom make up is very good.But as all have said it really is just a case of practice and experience.Also it isnt really that hard! Good luck with it and welcome to Anglers Net.

Two most common mistakes I see are people using too heavy a weight to lead with and too light a one with a marker float.When feature/depth finding with a marker float ensure that the weight is heavy enough to be able to wind the float back down to it with out moving it.

It also amazes me how many dont bother to record there hard worked for information.Its impossible to remember all the information gained over a period of time.These days its simple enough to make a map of your water (use Google earth or similar to get an outline) and record your information on it.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Newts sugestion of actually trying in margins where you can see the bottom make up is very good.But as all have said it really is just a case of practice and experience.Also it isnt really that hard! Good luck with it and welcome to Anglers Net.

Two most common mistakes I see are people using too heavy a weight to lead with and too light a one with a marker float.When feature/depth finding with a marker float ensure that the weight is heavy enough to be able to wind the float back down to it with out moving it.

It also amazes me how many dont bother to record there hard worked for information.Its impossible to remember all the information gained over a period of time.These days its simple enough to make a map of your water (use Google earth or similar to get an outline) and record your information on it.

hi budgie

thanks for the advice im going out this monday so ill give it a go as they practice makes perfect

thanks all scott

Bright yellow braid becomes dull, slightly yellowish, gray braid after a couple of sessions.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Scott,

I have been doing a lot of marker float work myself. I can tell you the more you do it the better it becomes. I started by pulling a weight acroos a kids sand pit, across the lawn and things just to get the feel.

I have found the fox horizon marker float kit to be very good, the weights are incuded. I take one weight and paint is black, a paint its called crakle black, potters use it for crack effects, this paint is very thin so scratches off easlily, this helps with sand and gravel.

As Budgie said record your hard word for the future.

Roger