Skerries - plaice

Simon Everett

cheers Martin,I'd been thinking it was far more complicated with uploading or attaching etc..

For the last two years Simon and I had been trying to catch a plaice from the famous Skerries bank.Weather or work had always got in the way.Simon rang to say he was coming this way so simultaneosly we both came up with the idea to have a serious attempt.

We had been warned of fast tides so the fact it was a neap and the weather was set fair made it an easy decision.

The launch site:Steeply shelving pebbles

KIF_0603.jpg

We planned on fishing the gulleys around the banks,the theory being that's where the fish would lie in wait for food to be swept passed.

KIF_0602.jpg

As it happened not a lot was being swept anywhere, the current was negligible and the sea went from being calm to a mirror.

KIF_0612.jpg

Simon on Diana:

KIF_0611.jpg

We paddled over the bank to the far side of the drop off.The land looks a fair distance from here!

KIF_0608.jpg

We both had two rods out; one with a spoon plus attractors with the other one just the rag bait on a 1/0 aberdeen with beads above.

Simon was into a fish within five minutes,we thought this was going to be easy!

KIF_0606.jpg

I had the the next one soon after(Simons with the spoon,mine without).

We were both over the moon,not just catching the plaice but the fact we had at last gone to the Skerries and done it.

It then went quiet for the next five hours!It looked like the large charter boat from Dartmouth was also struggling to find fish.Ironically we think the conditions may have been just too still.We'd bought some "watch" style leads specifically for this trip but switched down to much smaller weights as 2oz just went down vertically.Although it made for easy paddling a bit more movement might have helped.

Simon went on to catch one more then we paddled in.Any size in the sea and it could prove to be a difficult landing.I'll be going back and will be happy to fish more of a tideflow provided the sea is still flat.

A very enjoyable day,finished off with a bottle of chablis,home made chips and my very first Skerries plaice.

KIF_0613.jpg

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Brilliant :thumbs:

Some fantastic pics there Jon and a lovely looking fish for tea. Good on ya boys for proving that given the right conditions marks like the Skerries can be tackled safely. :clap:

Stu :)

Well done chaps, never thought it would be done. Simon put a little weight on Diana is looking awfully low in the water ;D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Well done chaps, never thought it would be done. Simon put a little weight on Diana is looking awfully low in the water ;D

He needs to get back to work instead of swanning off all around the country fishing. I've got 10 tonnes of topsoil that needs shifting by midday tomorrow, that should shift a pound or two :rolleyes:

And I laid six patio slabs today and felt the pounds fall away ;D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Nice one guy's. Some great shots there John :thumbs:

I was seriously thinking of coming but had an urgent job to do :wallbash: never mind I still managed to get out today.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I