Tying yourself to your yak?

jonnyboy

This could be a bit of a nobby question but i feel i need to ask it!

Does anyone tie themselves to their yak with a leash?, y'know, like surfers do to their boards. I was paddleing over the hood in portland harbour yesterday and the tide was pouring through, and i thought, if i fall out here, my yak, and possibly my only chance of survival will be miles away in about 2 seconds.

So, any thoughts

Edited by jonnyboy

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not recomended. You certainly would not want to be atatched in the surf. If your paddle leash is conected to your kayak then whilst paddling you would be conected.

This has been discussed a couple of times and I am still not sure wether its a good idea or not. I have a leash that I can conect onto but find I am using it less than I thought I would.

Jury is still out.

Edited by GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I would say IMO its not a good idea it will hinder the righting of the yak in a spill after having a tangel with an anchor line and fishing line a yak leash would of hindered the rescue as it was I had to cut the fishing line. Paddle leash is paramount to safe Kyaking

Dave

Target fish: Anything!

I've read various threads on heaps of yak forums about this subject and I have just made up a leash.

Staying connected to the primary flotation device is the guiding principle here. I have vivid memories of going overboard on a tiny sailboat and swimming like f### to just get a fingertip on the rudder. I do not want to repeat that experience. Ever.

If tangles are going to be a prob when you go arse up in the drink then you should have a knife handy - ie attached to your good self. I don't think this will happen very often. You were unlucky Troller.

To make mine I got a piece of PVC conduit 100mm long and about 32mm internal diameter. Drilled a hole about 10mm in from one end and passed a 5 metre length of venetian blind cord through the hole and attached a carabiner to both ends of the line. The line is then wound around your hand to make a loose loopy bunch and slid into the PVC. Basically the PVC just holds the line together neatly so it can unravel. This also also fits into one of my flush mount rod holders. Clip one carabiner to a loop on the back of your PFD/vest the other to a convenient deck loop. I use the one that's next to the rod holder.

Everyone makes their own decisions on the level of safety they are comfortable with. I have a fear of getting flipped in high winds and by the time I'm over that shock the biggest one will be seeing the yak blowing just out of reach, then over the horizon.

:)

Another option is to tie lengths of tape to the handles. Such that you can grab these if you go over. Take care tying knots in the loose/floating tape ends as these can get caught in other obsticles (buoys, piers etc).

Edited by Chas C

I think a lot will depend on what conditions your going out in, are you launching and returning through a surf zone, are you fishing alone or with others who could come to your aid maybe your best bet is to attach a leash to the kayak and then decide whether to use it or not depending on the conditions your in, as has been said earlier i wouldn't use one in the surf (got tangled in a paddle leash once when i rolled in the surf and it wasn't fun) but out at sea if your on your own it may help save your life. i personnelly don't use one but then i don't fish alone at the moment i would think about it seriously if i did.

Edited by snakey1

You never keep the paddle leash attached to the yak during surf entry/re-entry. You attach it to your wrist.

If you aren't using the yak as your PFD then you'd only use the yak leash when you thought it appropiate. I don't use a PFD, but keep one on board.

Mainly compliance....don't want the safety nazis raining blows about my head and shoulders.

:headhurt:

I also fish a lot of water where if I fall out, I stand up and get back in.

Sometimes if it looks like cutting up ugly I'll put it on. Did it once. More a psychological backup I suppose for off-shore forays.

:)

Edited by varp