Tying yourself to your yak?

jonnyboy

You never keep the paddle leash attached to the yak during surf entry/re-entry. You attach it to your wrist.

Never is a very strong word - its down to personal choice.

When out in the sea my paddle leash is firmly attached to my kayak - never do I personally have it attached to my wrist.

I would rather have no hinderence getting back to my kayak, and once there, finding my paddle close by.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Chas, but you're wrong there. Thanks for the opportunity to feel smug and patronising!

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Can't say I'm speaking from personal experience though because I'm not. I'm just passing on everything I've ever read on the topic by switched on types with a wealth experience in the surf zone and there are a lot of them out there from Mozambique to Hawaii. The UNIVERSAL consensus is don't.

Guy on the Oz forum recently dislocated his shoulder by getting tangled between yak and leash. Very graphic description of violent forces and wrenching pain and six weeks off work.

:)

photo-2920.jpg

I am not tying myself to this

Why not? She looks kinda cute ;)

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

It's odd that you would post a link that says "Always wear a pfd" three posts after you said you don't wear one

"Do I contradict myself? Very well I contradict myself for I am vast and contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman

As I said before you make your own call on the level of safety you are comfortable with. Better to be aware of the big issues before you make those decisions.

I thought the Big Issue was for homeless people..........

Varp: A South African, an Aussie and an English guy were drinking together in a pub in London. When the South African finished his beer, the first to do so, he threw the glass in the air and shot it saying, "glasses in Sarf frika are so cheap we don't have to drink out of the same one twice.

The Aussie, seeing this as a great chance to get on the Pommie bashing bandwagon also downed his beer and chucked his glass in the air, smashing it to smithereens with a well aimed shot. He said, we have so much sand in Straaalia that our beer glasses are so cheap we don't have drink out of the same one twice either.

The Englishman looked aghast at this carry on. Then slowly and deliberately he drank the rest of his beer, smacked his lips and shot the other two saying, "we have so many South Africans and Aussies in London we don't have to drink with the same ones twice....."

Paddle leash- short is safer, round the wrist it goes. When you want to attach it to the kayak - park it if you like, simply clip it on the yak. Have a look under accessories at www.kayakuk.com it is explained there.

Leashing yourself to the kayak in a tideway - it would probably pull you under like a pot bouy is in a tide rip. The best safety attack is "don't fall out". If the tide is that strong that you are being pulled about on your anchor line, it is touch and go whether you should be there at anchor - try anchoring just out of the main flow and casting into/across it. Fish the mark early in the tide and shift out of the way for the middle part, then go back in as it eases towards the end of the tide.

You have to draw your own lines of what is and what isn't safe - Varp in his Dorado will be in seas that others think are impossible.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I thought the Big Issue was for homeless people..........

Varp: A South African, an Aussie and an English guy were drinking together in a pub in London. When the South African finished his beer, the first to do so, he threw the glass in the air and shot it saying, "glasses in Sarf frika are so cheap we don't have to drink out of the same one twice.

The Aussie, seeing this as a great chance to get on the Pommie bashing bandwagon also downed his beer and chucked his glass in the air, smashing it to smithereens with a well aimed shot. He said, we have so much sand in Straaalia that our beer glasses are so cheap we don't have drink out of the same one twice either.

The Englishman looked aghast at this carry on. Then slowly and deliberately he drank the rest of his beer, smacked his lips and shot the other two saying, "we have so many South Africans and Aussies in London we don't have to drink with the same ones twice....."

Paddle leash- short is safer, round the wrist it goes. When you want to attach it to the kayak - park it if you like, simply clip it on the yak. Have a look under accessories at www.kayakuk.com it is explained there.

Leashing yourself to the kayak in a tideway - it would probably pull you under like a pot bouy is in a tide rip. The best safety attack is "don't fall out". If the tide is that strong that you are being pulled about on your anchor line, it is touch and go whether you should be there at anchor - try anchoring just out of the main flow and casting into/across it. Fish the mark early in the tide and shift out of the way for the middle part, then go back in as it eases towards the end of the tide.

You have to draw your own lines of what is and what isn't safe - Varp in his Dorado will be in seas that others think are impossible.

Thanks simon

that was the answer i was after!

Jon

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network

:D:D:D:D

Good one Simon! That was a cracker and I'm afraid your numbers will swell by one soon. My eldest is on her way to London next month. Should prove a boon to the UK distilleries..... <_<

I hate anchoring in deep rips - too damn spooky. We get some enormous clumps of kelp here and when they wrap around the anchor line and start riding it up and pulling the stern under...... :headhurt:

Should point out to anyone that has got the mistaken impression that I'm qualified in any way to offer sage advice. Fished out of a canoe for yonks in our lakes, bays and inlets with the occaisional trip out wide, but I'm new to kayak fishing. I have, however, been scouring the World Wide Wait for as much info as seems applicable to the sport, bought a few books and so I'm just passing on what I've gleaned and some of the possibly twisted, ill conceived conclusions that I will be running with.

Simon - I've pretty much got the Dorado all kitted out. Waiting on an in-dash digital depth finder and my new wet suit, but I'll post some pics of her when I'm up to speed. Be keen to hear your opinion. I kept her simple, but I'm pretty happy with the result.

:)