Tell me about your weekend

fruitloopy

I'm just wondering if others have found this weekend to be a bit...difficult?

As a returner to fishing I'm not quite in tune with how our lovely seasons affect the fishing so I apologise if this is a stupid topic.

I fished a good commercial (I caught almost bugger all last weekend so I wanted a confidence booster) on Saturday and spent almost twelve hours watching a float that didnt move.

I know we all have good and bad days but this is the second weekend when I havent had it too good at all.

And then I see those smiling bloody faces in the angling times holding up double figure barbel!! B4stards!!

Can anyone take me river fishing? I'm not very good at it.

So...how was your weekends fishing?

I'm just wondering if others have found this weekend to be a bit...difficult?

As a returner to fishing I'm not quite in tune with how our lovely seasons affect the fishing so I apologise if this is a stupid topic.

Can anyone take me river fishing? I'm not very good at it.

So...how was your weekends fishing?

On friday i thought it would be a nice change to go fishing armed with only a float rod,half a pint of maggots and a bag of bread crumb for 4 or 5 hours before i picked my daughter up from school..I started fishing and it wasn,t long before i was catching roach rudd and perch.It was all going well until the pike arrived,taking nearly every other fish i hooked and snapping my line in the process..Tyical,no pike gear on me and some good sized pike right under my rod tip.With about 30mins to go before i set off to pick up my daughter I decided enough was enough,i kept one of the roach ;) wound some 6lb line onto my reel and tied it to a braided hooklength and size 8 hook.The roach was attached and cast out.. A minute later a pike was on and after another minute it was in my net,a nice fish about 8lb,good fun on a light rod .I left happy but next time i'm taking some pike gear.

Never leave home without a wire trace.

003-6.jpg

this was my journey home at about half seven this evening, after a session of roach and dace on the pole and a jack each on lures. Not another angler on the whole lake.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Never leave home without a wire trace.

003-6.jpg

this was my journey home at about half seven this evening, after a session of roach and dace on the pole and a jack each on lures. Not another angler on the whole lake.

Now THAT is a lovely picture.

Thanks Emma. Where was it taken?

I nipped on the Ribble with a pin and a couple of pints of maggots on Saturday morning it was as ever very pleasant especially as there was no one else around.

The leaves were starting to fall off the trees coming to rest gently on the surface of the river to be borne off to their final resting place downstream.

A couple of kingfishers were busily flashing up and down the river, always in a hurry to get somewhere and a joy to watch.

The sun shone and the nearby church bells started ringing about mid morning, either practise or even possibly a wedding. It's a wonderfully evocatively English sound as it drifts across the fields.

The water in the river has definitely cooled quite a bit in recent days but this seems to have had little effect on the fish and the recent dry spell meant that I could wade to one of my favourite swims which is a shade over waist deep when it is fishable.

I spent a very happy morning trotting a red tipped float down the river, seeing the line peeling off the reel under the very lightest pressure of my thumb on the spool just holding the float back slightly to allow the bait to swim down first.

Tactics were nothing subtle, a six pound line with an Avon float to a four pound flurocarbon hooklength, the shot bulked about 18" above the hook with a number six shot about six inches above the hook, this was baited with two maggots a white'un and a red'un on a size fourteen.

The catch was nothing special, four barbel the best going just over eight pounds and three chub the best just shy of five and a half pounds.

The very best part was that all of the ordinary cares of the world could be ....just for a time...another world away.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I nipped on the Ribble with a pin and a couple of pints of maggots on Saturday morning it was as ever very pleasant especially as there was no one else around.

The leaves were starting to fall off the trees coming to rest gently on the surface of the river to be borne off to their final resting place downstream.

A couple of kingfishers were busily flashing up and down the river, always in a hurry to get somewhere and a joy to watch.

The sun shone and the nearby church bells started ringing about mid morning, either practise or even possibly a wedding. It's a wonderfully evocatively English sound as it drifts across the fields.

The water in the river has definitely cooled quite a bit in recent days but this seems to have had little effect on the fish and the recent dry spell meant that I could wade to one of my favourite swims which is a shade over waist deep when it is fishable.

I spent a very happy morning trotting a red tipped float down the river, seeing the line peeling off the reel under the very lightest pressure of my thumb on the spool just holding the float back slightly to allow the bait to swim down first.

Tactics were nothing subtle, a six pound line with an Avon float to a four pound flurocarbon hooklength, the shot bulked about 18" above the hook with a number six shot about six inches above the hook, this was baited with two maggots a white'un and a red'un on a size fourteen.

The catch was nothing special, four barbel the best going just over eight pounds and three chub the best just shy of five and a half pounds.

The very best part was that all of the ordinary cares of the world could be ....just for a time...another world away.

Nice post Alan....................fishing sounds good n'all.

Cheers bud I'll be giving you a bell when I get back from France at the on about the 12th then we can have a look at that little river of yours.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Cheers bud I'll be giving you a bell when I get back from France at the on about the 12th then we can have a look at that little river of yours.

Yeah look forward to it, have a good un in France!

fruitloopy,

Now THAT is a lovely picture.

Thanks Emma. Where was it taken?

It's Bass lake, western lake district.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"