Making a Kayak

mickforster

Hi Guys,

Has anyone here tried to make a kayak? I have a Prowler 13 and a Scupper Pro but I was wondering If anyone could advise me how to make a surfing style kayak to play in the surf. I know its not entirely fishing orrientated. Its just for a summer project to see if it can be done.

I have started to design the boat and have gathered a large block of Dense Polystrene. I also have fibreglass and Expoxy. The idea is to make a kinda of SOT surfing style boat similar to OK Frenzy in shape.

I would appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

Thanks,

Mick

Growing Older is inevitable, Growing up is Optional

I've never made a kayak but have looked into building a sea kayak myself.

One method that looks quite straight forward is a stitch and glue plywood technique. The ply is encased in GRP to give a light strong construction. I've seen details on the web for a S and G surf kayak. Should be quite easy since you'll need quite a flat underside with a good rocker line.

Try searching the web for 'stitch and glue'

Good luck

Rich

Hi Guys,

Has anyone here tried to make a kayak? I have a Prowler 13 and a Scupper Pro but I was wondering If anyone could advise me how to make a surfing style kayak to play in the surf. I know its not entirely fishing orrientated. Its just for a summer project to see if it can be done.

I have started to design the boat and have gathered a large block of Dense Polystrene. I also have fibreglass and Expoxy. The idea is to make a kinda of SOT surfing style boat similar to OK Frenzy in shape.

I would appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

Thanks,

Mick

hi mick, i am a chippy and i am damn sure i have some plans for kayak building. :thumbs: i will see if i can find them and will get back to you

regards andy

prowler 13 angling edition

margate kent

beware.. one man's legacy is another's inheritance...

My old fella built me a kayak out of ply using the stitch and glue method 30 odd years ago and it was a fantastic bit of kit that I used for many years till some TW%t knicked it. He'd built a couple of sailing dinghies the previous couple of winters from kits and easily knocked the yak up after getting hold of the plans.

From memory I would say it was about 12ft long, maybe 26 inches wide. Sit inside but with a large cockpit opening ( No spraydeck) but very dry and with plenty of added bouyancy shoved inside via old innertubes was a nice safe, stable platform that I used to fish from occasionally but was great for playing in the surf. I asked him if he still had the plans a year or two ago but sadly not though I reckon a look through some of the classic boat buider type mags might be worth a look.

Stu. :)

Selway fisher

I've had plans from them and they are very good and easy to follow.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Some very nice looking kayak plans here:

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/WoodenKayakPlans

http://www.redfishkayak.com/plans.htm

http://www.shearwater-boats.com/forhome.htm

I think all three sites have stitch & glue and strip planking plans

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Hi, I'm new to the forum but started kayak fishing last year. Great fun! With regard to your project, I built a 16' outrigger canoe about five years ago using stitch and glue and West's System epoxy to seal the joints and coating prior to last coat of varnish. Very strong but quite heavy. I have also made several surfboards, and if you want to go down this route, I think (and I could be wrong) that if you use fibreglass and epoxy on polystyrene it will melt. The resin gets very hot after catalyst is added (I've seen it set grass alight). Your best bet is to use propper surfboard foam but it would need a central fibreglass or wooden stringer to stop it snapping in half in heavy surf. Try HOMEBLOWN or SEABASE, both are surfboard foam suppliers in the U.K. both are on the internet, they might be able to blow a blank especially, or if not they may have some ideas. Hope this is of help. Cheers!