clearing a swim of snags

JonJ

Anyone tried to do this with a rakehead attached to strong nylon rope? I just tried it and failed to snag on the snags - so the branches and trolleys and stuff in the swim I'd like to fish (on opening day) are still in the water :-( Anyone got any good tips?

Thanks

Guest Brumagem Phil

Is it too deep to go in and get them by hand? Strong pair of boots and some old shorts?

If not, then two things spring to mind.........two rake heads bolted or welded together back to back or try your rope with a large butchers hook or similar to try and hook the trolleys etc.

Good luck!

Is it too deep to go in and get them by hand? Strong pair of boots and some old shorts?

If not, then two things spring to mind.........two rake heads bolted or welded together back to back or try your rope with a large butchers hook or similar to try and hook the trolleys etc.

Good luck!

I used two rake heads as you suggest. I managed to drag the offending snag to the waters egde. It's not a trolley as I though but a concrete post with a metal rod attached to it and several yards ot wire netting attached to that. Heavy is not the word! Any ideas what to do now?

Block and tackle ?

Failing that, you'll have to get a jerkbait outfit.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Some VERY strong wire cutters (or bolt crops) and cut the chainlink fencing from the post. YOu should find both pieces manageable then.

Hey, do I get a management fee for this? :thumbs:

dont know if its a good idea or not pulling out snags disturbing the swim, probably been there so long the fish use it as a refuge, although i can see the point of getting rid of man made junk from a swim i wouldnt be so quik to remove a natural snag. just learn to fish around it.

theres a place i go for pike using lures and theres a snag about 10ft from the bank. im sure its a trolly or a dead body as i keep pulling out socks but ive learnt to avoid it by a few inches and i seem to hit alot of pike near it

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

A ha ! A trolly full of Socks, that could be worth dragging out and selling on e-bay :rolleyes:

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

theres a place i go for pike using lures and theres a snag about 10ft from the bank. .... butt ive learnt to avoid it by a few inches and i seem to hit alot of pike near it

Obstructions for a nice growing surface for algae & moss.

Small water creatures eat algae & moss.

Smallish fish eat small water creatures.

Larger fish eat smaller fish.

Larger preds treat such locations as a great spot for a snack.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Obstructions for a nice growing surface for algae & moss.

Small water creatures eat algae & moss.

Smallish fish eat small water creatures.

Larger fish eat smaller fish.

Larger preds treat such locations as a great spot for a snack.

I agree natural snags are fair enough. Man made ones are just litter. This snag was near the far bank and I always tried to cast just away from it. But I always get caught up at least twice in a session. If I'm on the float I'd sometimes lose the float, if I was on the feeder I'd often lose the feeder. So more litter accumulates.

dance1.jpg
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President