controller float fishing

bluezulu

advice needed please. i am a total novice at surface fishing with a controller float .i have read several articles on the subject and the one thing that confuses me is some experts say grease the hook length between float and hook length to keep line above the surface so not to spook fish.then i read another so called experts advice saying you should de-grease the hook length with washing up liquid so the line sinks below the surface so as not to spook the fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so who is correct? do i float, sink or just leave the line as it is????????????? :unsure:

Usual practice is to grease the hooklength (unless it floats perfectly well without), except the 6-9" of it closest to the hook. If the fish are in a feeding frenzy, they might not take any notice of the hooklength anyway (I've known carp take the controller itself before now), but you might as well err on the safe side.

The thing to remember is if the line is floating or just below it can still spook a fish swimming into it. But when Carp are really at it taking baits off the top I have found they don’t spook very easy.

In fact the bait landing on the top acts sometime like a dinner bell to the Carp.....

Before introducing your hook bait get the Carp to take baits with confidence that way they are less likely to spook when you hook one.

Try to keep the line as tight as you can, in other words in contact with your bait. Any wind try to fish with it hitting your back. In most cases you will not need to strike the tight line will hook the fish so make sure your clutch it set. Catching Carp this way really shows the power of the fish they can go like a torpedo!

Tight Lines and have fun.

thanks john. i only ask this question as i am a match fisherman and fishing with dog biscuits on the surface is a bit alien to me.i went for a practice session at fisher wick match lake near lichfield a couple of weeks back, as i have a match there tomorrow. i started off fishing the normal way of maggots,corn, meat etc on the pole and just couldn't buy a bite.no one else seemed to be catching either except an old chap to my left.he was hammering out the carp.after a couple of hours i had ,had enough so i went to have a chat with my neighbour.the chap was very helpful and straight away i could see what he was doing, dog biscuits on the top.each time he fired out a pouch of freebies the carp went crazy for them.anyway he gave me a couple of handfuls of biscuits and very grateful to him i was.over the next 4 hours i caught a dozen carp all between 8 - 10 lbs.i was using a heavy loaded drenan crystal waggler as i had no controller floats, have now :rolleyes: so armed with a big bag of chum mixer i hope to do the business tomorrow.to the old chap next to me a very big thank you sir :thumbs:

I had a great time last summer when I seriously tried surface fishing for the first time.

I used a clear bubble controller which was part-filled with water to give it some casting weight and a leger stop to keep it back from the hook and tied a number 10 hook straight to my mainline, Daiwa Sensor 8lb mono.

My bait initially was breadflake and that caught a couple of good fish, but I got pestered by ducks and swans a lot on the particular water I fished.

I then switched to Chum Mixers on subsequent visits (softened up in a poly bag beforehand by soaking in hot water) and these worked a treat. Nothing sophisticated, just hooked the mixers straight through and made sure my bait was in the middle of a few freebies.

It's fantastic and heart-thumping stuff. If the conditions are right (and you're not unlucky enough to get pestered like hell by waterfowl!) it's a great way to catch carp. Sometimes the fish are so up for it they frequently made a grab for the bubble controller while annoyingly avoiding the bait!

Have fun and good luck :thumbs:

Our chief weapon is surprise

I had a great time last summer when I seriously tried surface fishing for the first time.

I used a clear bubble controller which was part-filled with water to give it some casting weight and a leger stop to keep it back from the hook and tied a number 10 hook straight to my mainline, Daiwa Sensor 8lb mono.

My bait initially was breadflake and that caught a couple of good fish, but I got pestered by ducks and swans a lot on the particular water I fished.

I then switched to Chum Mixers on subsequent visits (softened up in a poly bag beforehand by soaking in hot water) and these worked a treat. Nothing sophisticated, just hooked the mixers straight through and made sure my bait was in the middle of a few freebies.

It's fantastic and heart-thumping stuff. If the conditions are right (and you're not unlucky enough to get pestered like hell by waterfowl!) it's a great way to catch carp. Sometimes the fish are so up for it they frequently made a grab for the bubble controller while annoyingly avoiding the bait!

Have fun and good luck :thumbs:

Its the most exciting method of fishing, the anticipation etc , make sure you feed well before you cast , its so tempting to cast , but try and get them feeding before putting your bait out .

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.