Robin Hoods Bay Cod Fishing

glennk

With a good sea running I headed straight out last night after work to fish a mark just north of the Ness End near Robin Hoods Bay. Got there at around 5.15 and was instantly into the fish. Managed 5 decent cod and dropped 1 off when the handle on my reel came off. 3 of the fish were red cod 1 almost been golden in colour. When gutted all had almost empty stomaches but some had something in that looked like eggs stuck togther (big cod says they are lump sucker eggs). At 7 oclock when high water came the bites stopped instantly just like someone flicking a switch. Headed off home around 7.30 with 5 fish for just over 16 pounds. A great evenings fishing showing the fish can still be there if you get the right conditions.

With a good sea running I headed straight out last night after work to fish a mark just north of the Ness End near Robin Hoods Bay. Got there at around 5.15 and was instantly into the fish. Managed 5 decent cod and dropped 1 off when the handle on my reel came off. 3 of the fish were red cod 1 almost been golden in colour. When gutted all had almost empty stomaches but some had something in that looked like eggs stuck togther (big cod says they are lump sucker eggs). At 7 oclock when high water came the bites stopped instantly just like someone flicking a switch. Headed off home around 7.30 with 5 fish for just over 16 pounds. A great evenings fishing showing the fish can still be there if you get the right conditions.

:clap2: The moral of the story is, make sure you service you tackle and keep it in tip top condition. The lost fish could've been a "fish of a lifetime". :clap2:

glenn,

"5 fish for 16lb"

not a bad evening, but with them mostly being red kelp cod you probably have about 10lb of worms and 6lb of fish :yucky:

were you using scottish whites?? :rolleyes:

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

glenn,

"5 fish for 16lb"

not a bad evening, but with them mostly being red kelp cod you probably have about 10lb of worms and 6lb of fish :yucky:

were you using scottish whites?? :rolleyes:

Hi HD to be honest not many worms in them at all. I got them all on fresh peeler and they wouldn't look at anything else.

Never did get any of them Scottish whites you know - No one will tell me where they are :schmoll: .

I fished with a mate recently and I could get nothing but undersized codling then he turned up with Scottish Whites and did the business with 2 size cod out instantly.

Could you thank your mate for me (Diabolis) and tell him his match fishing tips did the business and I finally managed to get that 1st place this season :thumbs::clap2:

Edited by glennk

Hi HD to be honest not many worms in them at all. I got them all on fresh peeler and they wouldn't look at anything else.

Never did get any of them Scottish whites you know - No one will tell me where they are :schmoll: .

I fished with a mate recently and I could get nothing but undersized codling then he turned up with Scottish Whites and did the business with 2 size cod out instantly.

Could you thank your mate for me (Diabolis) and tell him his match fishing tips did the business and I finally managed to get that 1st place this season :thumbs::clap2:

them cod must be pretty fresh in, during the summer up here when i get red cod of any size they go straight back because it's a p to a £ they have more worms than a geordie on a scottish beach :angry:

to tell you the truth glenn I don't know where to get whites anymore, not that i dig them these days, but some guys i know are still digging the old marks and fighting the geordies for a patch to dig and getting 20 worms for a helluva lot more effort than i used to get 300 in a tide back in the day,

the "new" marks are so secret that diabolis won't tell me where he's getting his, and i don't dig lugworm now, never mind whites <_<

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif