Not so good a day

lyn

Following on from our day at Frensham on 'leeds' Good Day thread, today we went to the river Loddon near Reading.

I even managed to get Matthew away from his buzzers, boilies & carp to come with us. As I was getting flasks & food ready he asked if a bank stick would do to put his buzzer on or did he need a pod :mad: As I looked round at him I caught the mischievious grin on his face that then broke into laughter as the little (6'4"!) s** was winding me up knowing full well my feeling of bivvies & buzzers on river banks!

We didn't leave until about 1pm as Jemma, Matthews girlfriend had the theory part of her driving, which she past, 1st attempt as well :)

Liam was in one of his 'independant' moods ie; had to do it all himself, then ends up casting into the far bank etc, the barbel I had just caught a glimpse of in the slightly coloured water by now had long gone!!

Dave, who I fish with was up there and came over to say he had caught a chub of about 2lb+ the water temp was 50 degrees so my hopes for the session were high.

We moved down into the next field as nothing was happening where we were. I suggested different swims to Liam to go into, none were any good, by this time he is in a right strop :rolleyes:

I went into one of these suggested swims & hooked into a barbel, unfortunately the hook pulled, joys of barbless hooks! (club rule) apart from the odd chub bite that was my day.

The rain became persistant about 6 and with only 1 brolly between us I decided to call it a day. As I was on the phone to Jemma to say we would go she started shouting down the phone that they were into a fish.

I went up just in time to net a nice 3lb 8oz chub, so at least Matthew had caught. (This upset Liam even more & he got really cross with me because I wouldn't let him go down, by now a very slippery bank with a good 6/8ft of water at his feetm to net it, I wonder why :rolleyes: )

I begrudgingly packed up but the rain was quite heavy now.

Never mind, there is always next time.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Don't you mean barbeless hooks Lyn?

Sounds like a typical day's angling. What makes us go back for more?

You tell that Liam that anymore strops with his Mum and we'll send Tel (Wordbender) and his boys round to sort him !

:( At least a fish was caught and you hooked something, a worse feeling is going fishing and not even getting a touch.

Which part of the Loddon did you go to in the end?

James

j_s:

Which part of the Loddon did you go to in the end?

Top section Standford End. There was someone on the house pool so I couldn't get in there. The boys are going off on their bikes today so I am hoping to get back up there today, on my own, peace :D

Going back to your ? on Frensham. We were fishing close to the reeds, as far out as you could cast into the wind that was blowing into our faces. Liam paddled out at one point to retrieve his float etc from the reeds. He was only about 10/12 ft out.

Most of the fish seem to be close to the reeds, as I said in the other thread, there was a lot of movement from the carp on the keepers side of the dam. I am sure if you put the time & effort in, in that area you would get a result.

As you know it's not classed as an easy venue.

Hope this helps.

lyn

Yep, I had heard it required time and effort :)

My brother fished Front Stillwater yesterday and managed nothing for his troubles, although I did tell him to use natural baits but he ignored my advice and used boilies.

James

Managed to get some 'me' time today, something of a rareity for me :(

Went to the Loddon again, had the whole top section to myself :) 1st bait cast 1315hrs - 3lb 8oz chub on the bank 1324hrs :D

Yes , thought I,in for a good session here, wrong :(

Apart from a load more chub bites that was it on the fish front.

I had a great afternoon watching the birds, making rigs, Liam seems to be leaving a lot in the undergrowth and generally just chilling out and enjoying the peace and solitude :)

My 2, they were having a great time out on there bikes together over the common. They had been out all afternoon and travelled miles. One of the occasions I don't want to see them as Matthew has Liam going over jumps, racing round the BMX course etc

The sort of thing Mum wouldn't let him do I suppose. I alway remember one summer when Liam was 4 and still had stabelizers on his bike, he would come home and tell me how he had been on the half pipes up the skate park

It hasn't been decided where we are all off to fishing tomorrow yet, will let you tomorrow night what we got up too.

lyn

beat's my last outing ,lure fishing 9 miles of walking. 8 hours fishing.saw one small pike caught zilch.... but i'll be going again this sunday

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

Hi Smudger, have you tried soft bodied lures? 9 miles of riverbank for zilch sounds a bit depressing. Fox Mini Jerks, ABU Terminators and soft bodied Mag Grubz are doing the biz up my way. Good luck on Sunday though. Steve Burke says Sunday WILL BE GOOD, and it will!