fishfinder fitting advice....again?!

fishtr8

Hi,

I know there is a lot of different information on here about fishfinders etc. but I am finding it difficult to find exactly what I need in a conclusive form.

I have a Tarpon 140 and have recently purchased an Eagle Cuda 168 fishfinder. My questions are:

Is it OK to just araldite the transducer in place or is it worth the extra time/money/energy to follow the noodle/vaseline route as advised in projectprowler?

How long will the tranducer last if I do only araldite it?

Which method have current fishfinder users actually used for installing theirs?

Are there any users of fishfinders on a Tarpon 140 who could send me some pictures/advise on their functioning setup?

Heres hopefully, Fishtr8.

Edited by fishtr8

tr8

Tarpon 140

I got a T140 and have gone down the portable route. The suction mount transducer on the humminbird piranamax is perfect. It does make a little noise when underway but it it's little enough to live with.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Given the way they're constructed (foam in hull?) can you mount a transducer in the hull of Bic?

I havn't fitted a hatch, so no access to the inside of the hull. I just strap the screen to my thigh, and let the transducer float a few feet behind me. I have the sliding float two feet above the transducer.

Works ok.

I'm one of those who is reluctant to drill holes, so I get around it by using other methods. I have two rod holders in the back of the anglers seat, but prefer to hold the rod anyway. My small amount of fishing gear is carried in a strong pouch with a zip and strap/handle, which I fix securely to the yak by threading the deck strap through. My flares are in a similar little pouch strapped to and under the bow cargo net. Anchor under there too. The Bilbao is so stable that I can move forward with my legs astride the hull to use the anchor. I can also sit sidesaddle to fish.

I have a marks and sparks zip up cool bag strapped to the bow child seat for fish. Radio hanging round my neck in a waterproof pouch.

Everything else in a dry bag under the rear deck luggage straps! Sounds chaotic, but it works. As I use the yak for recreational paddling as well, it's nice not to have a load of equipment bolted to it.

Just need a landing net, that can stow in one of the rodholders in the seat.

Edited by maidstonemike

I havn't fitted a hatch, so no access to the inside of the hull. I just strap the screen to my thigh, and let the transducer float a few feet behind me. I have the sliding float two feet above the transducer.

Works ok.

I'm one of those who is reluctant to drill holes, so I get around it by using other methods. I have two rod holders in the back of the anglers seat, but prefer to hold the rod anyway. My small amount of fishing gear is carried in a strong pouch with a zip and strap/handle, which I fix securely to the yak by threading the deck strap through. My flares are in a similar little pouch strapped to and under the bow cargo net. Anchor under there too. The Bilbao is so stable that I can move forward with my legs astride the hull to use the anchor. I can also sit sidesaddle to fish.

I have a marks and sparks zip up cool bag strapped to the bow child seat for fish. Radio hanging round my neck in a waterproof pouch.

Everything else in a dry bag under the rear deck luggage straps! Sounds chaotic, but it works. As I use the yak for recreational paddling as well, it's nice not to have a load of equipment bolted to it.

Just need a landing net, that can stow in one of the rodholders in the seat.

MM, I thought the orientation of the transducer was fairly critical and imagined you must have some sort of mini boom that would keep it stable and pointing in the right direction under water. Amazed you get a clear reading by just letting it dangle.

Didn't you pick up one of those £5 landing nets from Lidl recently?

Have mine mounted inside the hull with a sealed battery box also.

Transducer is stuck down with a big blob of areldite - It surprising though that it can still be removed and isnt as permanent as some believe. The areldite becomes soft after a while when in sea water which gets in every launch ( a couple of cup fulls).

The battery box is stuck down with a load of silicone and the duct tape is there just for extra piece of mind.

I was told not to use silicone for the sticking down of the transducer as this can result in an air bubble in the silicon. This will show as fish on the fishfinder. I have heard from many also who have used it and they have no problem. Seems trick is to use the tube with no nozzle and and apply one great big blob.

The best but very permanent adhesive is Sikaflex®-296 available at most chandlers. This will stick a plate of blamanch'e to a ceiling!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: I am tempted to use this next time but worry how permanent this would be!?

PA120027.jpg

I much prefer the fishfinder and all its bits fitted and not floating around or trailing as this is just something else to worry about.

:thumbs:

MM, I thought the orientation of the transducer was fairly critical and imagined you must have some sort of mini boom that would keep it stable and pointing in the right direction under water. Amazed you get a clear reading by just letting it dangle.

Didn't you pick up one of those £5 landing nets from Lidl recently?

Well the float is a circle about 5inches accross, and thick, the transducer is heavy, so it hangs ok. it seems to work, as long as I have a couple of feet of cable between the float and transducer, it seems stable in the water. I just keep the rest of the cable in a pouch, let out a few feet, and secure the pouch to the grab rope. I put it all back in a dry bag before coming ashore.

As stable as a hull bouncing around on the waves I guess.

No, I missed the Lidl nets!!

Edited by maidstonemike

"No, I missed the Lidl nets!! "

Don't worry they were cheap but nasty and not kayak friendly

I have never lost a fish yet due to not having a net,we don't have to haul them up rocks or the side of a boat-they almost slide in and over.Saying that I did get a very short handled net for christmas and I have to admit I was glad I could slip it under my first yak plaice.

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

"No, I missed the Lidl nets!! "

Don't worry they were cheap but nasty and not kayak friendly

I have never lost a fish yet due to not having a net,we don't have to haul them up rocks or the side of a boat-they almost slide in and over.Saying that I did get a very short handled net for christmas and I have to admit I was glad I could slip it under my first yak plaice.

Jon.

Didn't think they would be much good at that price. Most of that supermarket's stuff is a bit cheap and nasty.