Day at Bury Hill

fish_surrey

I had a mixed day at Bury Hill yesterday. First, the match lake was closed for a private match and Bonds Lake (The main Carp lake) was closed too. So it was the big lake or a wasted trip.

I didn't really have the kit to fish the main lake, but that didn't really prove to be an issue as the fish really didn't seem to be biting. The lake was completely packed out, not a swim free for most of the day and from what I saw no one was doing that well, the two Rudd I did catch didn't put up any kind of a fight and the first one was almost dead when I bought it in, I had to wait nearly 15 minutes before it was strong enough for me to release it. I had a little wander around and most of the other anglers there were having the same problem as well, the fish they were catching were putting up no fight what-so-ever and the Carp were knowhere to be seen.

Has anyone else come across this, or is it something about this time of year... Personally I think that it was because the lake was so busy. Whenever I've gone to a busy fishery, the fishing is really difficult.

Fish Surrey

It sounds like there's low oxygen levels in the water, it might explain why Bonds lake was closed. We had this happen at one of my local places last year, levels went down to under 20% and ended up with the fire brigade, environment agency, the owner and family and 6 of us helping out all day.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"