Sea bass advice

Moggy

It's recently come to my attention that there's a mark on the west coast (Of Denmark) not far from where I live where bass are being caught by sea trout fisherman. I've never fished especially for bass, but seem to remember that sand eels are a favourite bait. Don't have access to these, so how would I go about fishing for bass otherwise?

The coast here is fairly shallow, sandy, and compared to Britain, there's very little tide. (averages about ½ a metre I think) Can feeding activity be observed, as with sea trout? I'm happy to fish with bait, spinner or fly, so any suggestions would be welcome!

You need a good book on Bass angling, it's quite a big subject to cover briefly.

Hooked on Bass is a very good book.

Bass will take a great variety of baits, ledgered mackerel, worms, lures and spinners of all kinds. They can be seen feeding in some places.

Local knowledge is vital for success. Bass often feed at a particular time in one area, and you need to know where and when. The hit and miss method rarely catches many Bass.

Sandeels are a good bait, as is fresh mussel, peeler crab, large pieces of mackerel. A good sized hook is important, as even a 5lb Bass has a huge mouth.

I have had succes with fresh mussel more than any other bait. The bait has to be big though. six mussel on a 5/0 hook is about right. You can buy special Bass hooks. Don't bother with anything below a 4/0.

Hope this helps.

If the sea trout boys are catching them, do what the sea trout boys are doing!!

:clap2: That's a logical answer but they are probably just catching a few by accident. If you were to do the homework and find out what really turns them on you could be on a bonanza. On the south coast there are certain times when the correct bait and tactics will outfish any other method. You will still catch them on other baits and methods but it will be a low percentage of what will be caught using the favoured method and bait. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ May 5 2007, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: That's a logical answer but they are probably just catching a few by accident. If you were to do the homework and find out what really turns them on you could be on a bonanza. On the south coast there are certain times when the correct bait and tactics will outfish any other method. You will still catch them on other baits and methods but it will be a low percentage of what will be caught using the favoured method and bait. :clap2:

Hi Jon,

Tried the link but it comes up as a 404 Error - can not find page

Cheers

What their methods will do is give you a starting point to start experimenting. If they are using small shiny lures try those and then start to branch out with different sizes and patterns or try live bait that they are using and then adapt and advance, try different things based on the known factor to cut down on wasted time and effort. Not a lot of point chucking a whole squid out at this time of year if they are feeding hard on live eels or whatever.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Not a lot of point chucking a whole squid out at this time of year if they are feeding hard on live eels or whatever.
This might sound daft, but try a bit of bread. I always catch more bass than mullet when I am mullet fishing, and I only ever use bread as a bait for mullet. My mate has had bass up to 5lb on a size 8 hook with a bit of bread.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

This might sound daft, but try a bit of bread. I always catch more bass than mullet when I am mullet fishing, and I only ever use bread as a bait for mullet. My mate has had bass up to 5lb on a size 8 hook with a bit of bread.

:clap2: Ditto. Was fishing for mullet yesterday, plenty of small mullet feeding but no big ones but had a size bass on bread, which my wife and I have just eaten for dinner, very tasty. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B