Sea Fishing

Dancey

Try these Tom

http://pub27.ezboard.com/bseafishingthesouthwest56857

http://www.bristolchannelangling.co.uk/

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/9...9432/marks.html

Or try aposting on TSF theres a couple of really helpful guys from down that way on there.

http://www.total-fishing.com/Discussion.asp

that shoul give you a bit to chew on.

Gareth

Tom

Drop me an email and I'll put you on the right track - are you an experienced fisherman or just starting out? Also, how fit are you - some marks are a bit of a hike, while you can fish some marks virtually within sight of the car!

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Plenty of marks within easy driving distance of Almondsbury - Severn Beach, Portishead, Clevedon, Kingston Seymor, Weston etc. Try and find someone who knows the area for your first few trips - all marks need fishing with care, while some are downright dangerous if you don't know what your doing. Tackle may be an issue - Your most robust course gear is not up to fishing in our area. Shore fishing in the upper channel calls for decent 12ft+ beach rods capable of casting 6oz plus bait and reels loaded with lines of between 18lb and 30lb(depending on the mark)+ leader.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Hello Dancey.

With the Avonmouth estuary, plus the local beaches, you`re spoilt for choice!

But you`ll have to invest in some sea tackle.

I`ve mates that use coarse tackle to fish for flatties. But you have to religiously wash and clean them after every trip. Or serious corrosion will set in?

But as you`re in the Brizzle area, why not get in touch with `Veals`? They cater for all anglers and will put you in the right direction.

Or take a boat trip with the James bros, out of Minehead. Just don`t go overboard on the tackle side until you know what you like best.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Yes, i have fished severn beach before to no avail. Tha is one place i shan't be heading.

I shall be going to a tackle show in may.

I will hopefully be picking up some new sea gear there.

What would you suggest for beach fishing.

Rods

Beachcaster yes/no

Length ???

T/c ???

Reels

Multiplier ???

Fixed Spool ???

Spasor's suggestion of contacting Veals is a excellent idea - they provide an excellent service and will provide advice on tackle requirements, particularly for the Bristol Channel. Also, they wll not try and sell you a high end rod and reel (at a high end price), that will be too powerful for a newcomer to the sport to use with any pleasure. tell them your just starting out shorecasting and they'll sort you out a suitable rod/reel combination, probably as cheaply as you'll find at a tackle fair!

For shorecasting, I personally use 13ft rods with Penn 525 or SL30SH multipliers depending on where I'm fishing. If you are more comfortable with a fixed spool though, then use it! - you will see plenty of people out there using them and enjoying their fishing just as much as me.

If you want to have a go before spending your money, let me know. I use powerful 13ft rods with multipliers and my brother uses 'softer' rods with fixed spools so you can have a try with both!!!!

Personally I use 13ft Beachcasters, I found that this is the length that suits me better, one with reel up and the other a stiffer rod with reel down and a reducer for the retrieve.

I use multipliers now for most of my fishing, they take some getting used to but once you have I prefer them, don't let people say you can't cast far with a fixed spool reel! I have seen more than enough people hitting 150yds plus with one!

I still use one for really heavey stuff off the rocks just for the ease and winching power.

As above speak to VEALS in Bristol, they are top class and will NOT sell you something that is of no use to you, they thrive on their reputaion as being yop class service providers.

Shads