summer pike in northants

cobra

i wonder if anyone knows of a day ticket water in northampton area(near to Daventry) that allows summer pike fishing i want to take my son and dont know of any this area used to be good as i still dream of that one 20+ :thumbs:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder if anyone knows of a day ticket water in northampton area(near to Daventry) that allows summer pike fishing i want to take my son and dont know of any this area used to be good as i still dream of that one 20+ :thumbs:

Hi there,

I grew up in Daventry and the information I've got is a bit out of date ! - I'm actually writing this from Australia where I now live !

Daventry country park used to be pretty good for pike - I'd be certain it's still worth a go. I caught jack pike there from the dam wall and esp round to the small shallow bay towards the car park - when I was a kid it was called 'pike bay' and we often had small roach taken as we wound them in on float gear from the dam wall.

It didn't have just small fish though - I turned up one day in the mid 80s and two guys had just pulled in a fish that looked well over 30lb - I kid you not ! - it's head was just enormous...!!!

Sywell also had a good rep for pike and I caught pike at my favourite semi-local water - Bishop's Bowl Lakes - Bishop's Itchington - past Southam.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi I also have some old information.

In the 80's I used to pike fish at St. James Lake Brackley (Brackley balancing lake)

I was a Brackley angling club water but sold day tickets, It had some good pike and was good fishing in the Summer.

You could try and enquire with the club, not sure if they have a web site but I am sure Google would give you the Answer.

Also had some great pikeing on the river evenlode (Not sure if that how you spell it) It was a small river but full of pike

Hope this helps

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Are you in daventry?? I'm on the headlands moved here 2 yrs ago i know lots of people fish the country park for the pike and i dont think there are any restrictions on time of year. I've also had one annoying me in the canal before now about 15lbs near running water. Also you have waters in northampton and mk

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Are you in daventry?? I'm on the headlands moved here 2 yrs ago i know lots of people fish the country park for the pike and i dont think there are any restrictions on time of year. I've also had one annoying me in the canal before now about 15lbs near running water. Also you have waters in northampton and mk

thanks guys

i went to the country park on saturday and caught 2 in 2and a half hours 1 five pound jack and a better 12 pounder also had one jump out of the water after my plug ( heart attack ) but ill check out the other places i am living in Badby which is near to Daventry so if anyone one has any more places to go or some tips either with lures or dead baits please pass them on :thumbs:

thanks guys

i went to the country park on saturday and caught 2 in 2and a half hours 1 five pound jack and a better 12 pounder also had one jump out of the water after my plug ( heart attack ) but ill check out the other places i am living in Badby which is near to Daventry so if anyone one has any more places to go or some tips either with lures or dead baits please pass them on :thumbs:

I'd just say that if you're fishing off the dam wall end then it gets pretty deep pretty quickly - you don't need to fish very far out at all - I had lots of pike follow my spinner right in close (often the water was pretty clear, even in the summer, and you could see lots of follows - we found it best to look away when that happened otherwise you tend to panic... ;)

I was told (can't remember who) that the pike often circle around the wall there - swimming round as if patrolling at the same level, although I often saw them sitting just beyond where you could clearly make out their detail, waiting in ambush - which makes sense.

There used to be lots of small roach along the wall about 40 foot out - I got about 70 in one session and was unmolested by pike but had other times when every fish I brought in got attacked. I'd say keep mobile - they're obviously territorial.

The shallow sandy shoreline past the overflow was a 'club bank' run by DDAS (Daventry and District Angling Society) - run by Ken Silverlock et al - it had some really nice Bream shoals but I never heard of pike at that end. They also used to have rights to fish a stretch of the Cherwell down the A361 - very unassuming little stretch of the river but held some very good chub to 5lb or so and some big roach too. Thinking back, I think it looked a bit pedunkle in places too although I never targetted them.

Gee...Badby's a lovely part of the world.

All the best,

Steve

...I didn't actually type "pedunkle"...I typed 'pike' followed by a 'y' as in likely to hold pike - quite how it got translated to "pedunkle" is beyond me...but it does - you can see in the preview - is pike followed by a y a swear-word these days in the UK - have I really been away that long ??!?

Do a google search for

define:p i k e y

(without the spaces) and you will see the major meaning of the term. It is offensive to some of our members and we have an autoedit set up to change it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Do a google search for

define:p i k e y

(without the spaces) and you will see the major meaning of the term. It is offensive to some of our members and we have an autoedit set up to change it.

Sorry but I have to laugh at that

Sorry but I have to laugh at that

OK - I get it now - shame your auto-edit cannot take context into account eh...

A pedunkle is the stem of a pumpkin ?

Spikey

Thanks,

Steve