Shock leaders

Jack Sparrow

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, i was just wondering what you would class as a good shock leader, ie, make and why, im going to be loading my reel with 18lb red ice if that makes any differnce.

regards

Jack

:clap2: The standard answer is 10lb of shockleader for every ounce of lead. There is a bit of leeway if not power casting or using heavy mainline but stay within the guidelines of 10lb for evey ounce and you should be OK. :clap2:

Cheers for that Norm, i understand that part, its what make would you class as good, as the same as normal line some is good and some is total crap?

YIS

JS

:clap2: Greased Weasal is considered very good, Stren, also VG, most of the better brands are good to VG. Just don't go for very thin leaders as although they are strong they don't stand up to abraision very well. :clap2:

Cheers for the advice its greatly apreciated, Knots is a very good question Glennk, i just used to use a blood knot, but have been looking at the Albright Knot which i picked up from a link on another thread, the Bimini knot was mentioned but there was no pictures to show how it was made, there was an indepth article but as the old saying goes a picture paints a thousand words :thumbs:

Regards

Jack

The ready made expensive shock leaders were brought in for the new anglers who couldn't tie their own or couldn't be bothered.

I liken them to the people who pay someone else to wash their car, bone idle.

Much cheaper to buy good quality branded line in bulk, and once you have learnt the knots, it's easy, and satisfying to tie your own.

I liken them to the people who pay someone else to wash their car, bone idle.

You are funney at times Mike.

The Bimini Twist.

It looks complicated, it sounds complicated. I taught big cod to tie it in 5 minutes with his great big shovel hands so its quite easy. Better if someone can show you than getting it from an article as when you see the knot you wouldnt actually believe it was a knot at all - just a mess in your line.

Its strong as hell. I find 25 pound to a 60 shocker is stronger than 31 sylcast straight through - a line renowned for strength.

try this article :

http://georgepoveromo.com/lineleaderconnection.htm

I find it easier to put your loop over your foot once you have enough twists in.