Whitby fishing advice

sandgrownen

Hi haven’t posted in a while but have been reading posts.

I will be in the Whitby are at the end of May. Has anyone got any advice in the following areas?

Where to launch

Where to fish

What species would it be best to target.

Any bait / lure tips

I have an anchor system setup but I’m not sure of the depths in the Whitby area.

I fancy the idea of mackerel on the fly rod but not sure if they will be in the area by the end of May.

Any other advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Chris

Hi chris .....

As for the fishing in the area ... ask the experts ..

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/no...oast-fishing/0/

you can launch from the harbour marina area on the north side i believe with parking there too. Also on the south side of the harbour there is a public car park with a nearby slipway from which you should be able to launch ... check first though. about 2 miles nort of whitby there is sandsend with plenty of places to lacnch. You may encounter a little surf there though so beware.

The water there is quite clear and the use of hokkies and luring for cod works fine ... some nice ones too. About 400yds out the depth is about 40ft + and often the bottom is rocky. Plenty of cod are there and i believe some mackies too .. great on light spinning tackle ..

Hi chris .....

As for the fishing in the area ... ask the experts ..

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/no...oast-fishing/0/

you can launch from the harbour marina area on the north side i believe with parking there too. Also on the south side of the harbour there is a public car park with a nearby slipway from which you should be able to launch ... check first though. about 2 miles nort of whitby there is sandsend with plenty of places to lacnch. You may encounter a little surf there though so beware.

The water there is quite clear and the use of hokkies and luring for cod works fine ... some nice ones too. About 400yds out the depth is about 40ft + and often the bottom is rocky. Plenty of cod are there and i believe some mackies too .. great on light spinning tackle ..

Thanks for the info Volusian

Like you said the web site has most of the info I need.

This was an interesting article about starting out. http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-ea...yak-fishing.php

Do you know what the currents run like and how strong, on the ebb and flood around Sandsend & Upgang? South east & North west I would think?

Reading the latest posts they seem to be catching a lot of small Bass.

Thanks again

Chris

Hi .. if your planning a trip out off Sandsend or Whitby in late May or early June keep us advised and we can merge it into a forum trip .... the more the merrier for safety reasons ...

Keith

All

Thanks again for the help.

Keith

I see from another post that you are looking for an Elite 4.5. I will be around Whitby over the Bank Holiday and will be on the Kayak subject to Girlfriend led activities. But if you see a Mango Elite 4.5 give me a shout and you can give it a go.

I've been off Blackpool in mine and it handles sea swells OK but I am short in the leg and around 12.5 stone so someone who is of a bigger frame would give better advice on stability.

I got the 4.5 Elite because off Blackpool there is a strong current north on the flood tide, which takes me up in front of the sea wall. I have found however that this is no problem in the 4.5 and with a bit more effort I can get back to the Squires Gate launch point.

I use a buoy & anchor to anchor up then I can slip the line easily then come back around to it and tie up again. I also have an anchor trolley setup on the kayak to orientate the yak into the current.

The 4.5 tracks well but I've made a Rudder that I am going to fit soon

Hope this help

Chris

There has been some good fishing in the kelp bed about 1000 yards off upgang ravine. Lots of codlings getting caught in there over the past few nights.

Thanks for the info glennk

Whats the sea state around around Whitby is it always choppy or do the cliffs give some shelter?

Also what is beach access like between Upgang and Sandend?

Sorry for being a pain in the neck but talk of Cod, Bass & Mackerel are building up a thirst.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the info glennk

Whats the sea state around around Whitby is it always choppy or do the cliffs give some shelter?

Also what is beach access like between Upgang and Sandend?

Sorry for being a pain in the neck but talk of Cod, Bass & Mackerel are building up a thirst.

Cheers

Chris

Not sure about Upgang access ... but the access at Sandsend is good. Car parking is plentiful and close to the beach. The North Car park is next to the slipway too. One thing to remember about Sandsend is that it is prone to some good and at times big surf... as i found out recently. However once out you can get to deepish water quite quickly .. Another thing to watch is the surf that can develop around some of the undersea shelves that are there just offshore... they can whip up pretty quickly. However away and towards Whitby it is fine.

Here is an aerial view of the North car park and slipway at Sandsend .....

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...0&encType=1

Edited by Volusian

If your trip coincides with bad weather try a bit further north at Runswick Bay where it can be more sheltered. The bay itself is good for plaice and you'll find cod off the rocks at each end of it.

Regards, Clive