How to measure bass

fish4ever

Can someone please put me straight on a few things.

The minimum size of bass you can keep is 36cm in england and wales. Some politiacal bloke was going to up it to 40cm in england but bottled it because of commercial pressure. I have marked my measure at 45cm and have kept to this both last year and this year, and have on numerous occasions returned bass over 45cm (i.e When there is plenty of frozen pizza in) I have found it immpossible to find anywhere on the web where it tells you how to measure your bass. I have always been under the assumption that you measure from the "V" in the tail and not the end of the tail when measuring bass. If it is the "V" in the tail are all the anglers aware of this or undersize fish may be taken in error??

P.S What does "Fish spp" mean? Does it mean measure from nose to tip of tail??

Any comments on the above would be appreciated.

Although lets not get too political eh as we have already been there.

Tight lines all :wallbash:

Traditionally anglers have measured fish to the V.

But because the fisheries scientists measure to the end of the tail (closed together), and this is the way of measuring when fishery officers are checking Minimum Landing Size, BASS is now asking it's members to now measure to the tip of the tail (closed together), when feeding back details of catches for recording for statistical purposes.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The technical answer is to the tipof the tail but many clubs operate to the V of the tail. Our bass club has a minimum of 55cm from nose to V of tail so check club rules if you are fishing in a club comp or you could be caught out.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Thank you all for your help. I will continue to measure from the "V" though (min 45cm) because even a little helps keep this magnificent fish in our water. From your replies I can sleep at night knowing I am doing my bit for conservation.

Tight Lines :victory:

Try this,also BASS have a tape out with the weights alongside the lengths

http://ukbass.com/fishingbits/weightforit.html

Well done on doing your bit,

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"