Float Fishing Little and Often

Arcturus

That being so, isn't it sensible to chuck in say, hemp or maggot to attract the little roach, but only sparely with say, the sweetcorn for the intended target eg tench?

Not always Trev, it depends on the swim, species present, target species, even the weather conditions.

I have watched anglers feeding 'little and often', and fishing completely the wrong way.

At a local lake, from the high vantage point, I watched a guy, who from a distance seemed to be getting everything right. Feeding to a pattern, good rhythm, and catching roach and perch, quite regularly.

From my position I could see, (he could too when I pointed it out), that his swim was full of better class fish, taking his feed, 2-3ft below the surface. He was fishing on the bottom, in about 8ft of water.

He cast out past his swim and drew back to sink his line, missing the feeding shoal. When I pointed it out, he kept the feeding pattern, but fished 'on the drop' about 4-5ft deep, and doubled his catch rate, with better sized fish.

Sometimes you have to introduce more feed to 'feed off' the smaller fish. Other times it's the kiss of death to do so.

As Budgie says, it's probably the hardest thing to learn. There is no set formula, even experienced anglers get it wrong at times.

It all depends on the circumstances in that swim, on that day. And it can even change during a fishing session.

That's where personal experience, and thinking about what's happening under the water pays dividends.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

So, start off little and often, then move to lots and less-often, then to lots and more often, depending on results? All the while trying top, middle and bottom of the swim? Blimey, and I thought fishing was supposed to be relaxing!