Been a while, need some rod/reel suggestions

aitchy

Im looking to start taking my step son fishing. Its been a while since I done any fishing and the rods I have are big casters for casting out heavy swimfeeders at lochs.

Im looking to start doing the following kinds of fishing:

Trout Bait and Lure fishing

Coarse Fishing

Canal Fishing (spinning and float and bait)

I have no ides where to start with regards to what rods and reels to buy, have been out the sport for quite a few years now.

I am trying to keep budget down but buy half decent rods and reels and line.

Could anyone advise me a little here on how many and what rods and reel I would need to cover the styles of fishing I am looking to get into?

Auitchy, this is a hard one, bit like advising folk what shoes to buy. Lots of answers too.

I have a small ABU Suveran reel that I use with a feeder rod, great reel but no longer available so my recommending that would be a complete waste of time!

However, I'd invest in a half decent reel, man enough for a swim feeder and for chucking lures.

I would then buy a 9 or 10 foot long feeder rod, £30 to £40.

I would also buy a 7 or 8 foot long lure rod, similar prices.

I would then buy, just for the sheer pleasure of using it, a 13 to 15 foot long stick float rod, along with a centre-pin, but that is a personal obsession!

aitchy,

I'm on the other side of the pond so my answer might not be a British as it is American.

I have participated in no fewer than 500 "kids fishing derby" events. Usually half or more are "new" to the sport and I was often ask questions similar to yours from parents.

My advice - purchase a "combo" balanced by the manufacturer (one that you like the looks is fine). For a "first time" buyer a tackle shop is almost as cheap as a mass merchandiser or the internet. In addition to your purchase you can get an hours advice. Just don't let them talk you into something different.

Now you are ready to "learn" from anglers on the bank at venues you will be fishing. Just remember fishing is the same today as it was yesterday. Be sure your step-son is old enough and has the right temperament to fish. One of the saddest thing I see in angling is when father and son loose patients with each other. Make it a GOOD experience.

Phone

Steve - why did you erase Shimano

Re Shimano I have had various rods & reels over the years, the rods have long gone as being nothing special, as have all but one reel, a superb, flawless gem, a Scorpion 1000. To Steve's list I would add Maver, excellent rods, well worth considering and exceptional value for money, in my opinion.

Back to the original question, I'd start off with just one discipline so to speak, and go for the canal. Wander along the bank & I rather expect you'll find most anglers using poles. Not my cup of tea but for simplicity's sake your step-son might find a basic set-up easier to master than a rod & reel. Ask in your local tackle shop, am sure that they will advise.