Licence issue

Sheepy

My daughter wants to go fishing with me which is great. I plan to equip her with my 6 foot spinning rod and float and know a great spot on the canal with lots of small roach and rudd shoaling close to the near bank so no real casting needed. Thing is I havnt renewed my rod licence since it ran out in March as i simply havnt had time to fish. Now my daughter is 3 1/2 so i guess im going to be doing most of the actual rod handling as she will be far too exited first time out and i dont fancy hooks flying everywhere until she has got to grips with the basics. I know she can fish for free but do i need a licence to be in attendance and teaching?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter wants to go fishing with me which is great. I plan to equip her with my 6 foot spinning rod and float and know a great spot on the canal with lots of small roach and rudd shoaling close to the near bank so no real casting needed. Thing is I havnt renewed my rod licence since it ran out in March as i simply havnt had time to fish. Now my daughter is 3 1/2 so i guess im going to be doing most of the actual rod handling as she will be far too exited first time out and i dont fancy hooks flying everywhere until she has got to grips with the basics. I know she can fish for free but do i need a licence to be in attendance and teaching?

Yes, you'll need a license. You don't have to get it in person, so someone else could get one from the Post Office for you. Alternatively get one online: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/399730/

(You'll be sent a confirmation email straight away which is proof of purchase, so you don't need to wait for the actual one to be posted.)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes, you'll need a license. You don't have to get it in person, so someone else could get one from the Post Office for you. Alternatively get one online: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/399730/

(You'll be sent a confirmation email straight away which is proof of purchase, so you don't need to wait for the actual one to be posted.)

Just to clarify in case i wasnt clear i wont have another rod out. It will just be the one i am teaching my daughter with.

Hi :).

If you were only watching you wouldn't need a license but since you will inevitably be doing a lot of the casting, holding the rod, reeling in, etc. it may be hard to convince an EA official that you weren't fishing. The chances of actually seeing an EA official are pretty slim, though!

Hope it goes well.

Hi :).

If you were only watching you wouldn't need a license but since you will inevitably be doing a lot of the casting, holding the rod, reeling in, etc. it may be hard to convince an EA official that you weren't fishing. The chances of actually seeing an EA official are pretty slim, though!

Hope it goes well.

Fair point. I havnt had my licence checked yet in however many years. It would be nice to take her out this weekend if the weather ever takes up.

Hows it going with you?

Peatling and Mill farm fishing well?

Guest tigger

If I was you I would just take her and bo**ocks to the lisense, at the end of the day your not fishing.

If a Bailif was to pull you over that then he should be sacked and thrown in the drink!

They'll wan't you to get one for a cockey net next :rolleyes:

Edited by tigger

At aged 4 my little girl loved to just sit on my knee put putting little Rudd in the keep net which where 1 at chuck on the local pond. last year aged 8 she hooked, played & landed her first Barbel (8lb) & is very confident at spinning, so we are hoping she can catch a salmon this year. Great as the bag limit is two fish per angler for year this year on the Ribble. She dose not need a rod licence, cost only £15 to get her in the club for year & just loves being & doing stuff with her dad. Watching her catch a fish is Worth a 1000000000000000000000000000000 of me getting 1 more dads should try it. Hope the weather is on your side not looking to good for Sunday & best of luck. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep