Uptider Advice needed

Fastd

A friend is looking to buy a good quality uptider for use here on the NE Coast.

There is no particular budget and any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

dave

:clap2: Hi Dave, try the Daiwa TDXU or the ABU Suveran uptide if money isn't a problem, otherwise there are loads of mid range uptiders out there. I like the ABU twist and lock butt extention on the Suveran and I think Conoflex do it too on their uptiders but I've not seen many of those about. My favourite is the Daiwa TDU 4-10, long discontinued but superceded by the TDXU which is almost as good. Mike Concannon is about to review the Daiwa TDXU, once he's caught a decent fish on it. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ May 29 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: Hi Dave, try the Daiwa TDXU or the ABU Suveran uptide if money isn't a problem, otherwise there are loads of mid range uptiders out there. I like the ABU twist and lock butt extention on the Suveran and I think Conoflex do it too on their uptiders but I've not seen many of those about. My favourite is the Daiwa TDU 4-10, long discontinued but superceded by the TDXU which is almost as good. Mike Concannon is about to review the Daiwa TDXU, once he's caught a decent fish on it. :clap2:

Watch those 'twist butts' trouble with a capital 'T', they jam!! OK if it jams in the position you like I suppose????

Suverans are great in their 'boat rod' form, I have 3, I use them as boat casting rods, downtiders and for drifting, I know, I'm a bit weird. Have a look at the 8'6" Greys 'Longboat', again I love them. Superb moving reel seat, the 15-20lb or the 20-30lb might be an option if you are in big tide flow? The butty of the Longboat is, it is a great 'all rounder'. But thats just my opinion :unsure:

S/Warrior

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ May 29 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: Hi Dave, try the Daiwa TDXU or the ABU Suveran uptide if money isn't a problem, otherwise there are loads of mid range uptiders out there. I like the ABU twist and lock butt extention on the Suveran and I think Conoflex do it too on their uptiders but I've not seen many of those about. My favourite is the Daiwa TDU 4-10, long discontinued but superceded by the TDXU which is almost as good. Mike Concannon is about to review the Daiwa TDXU, once he's caught a decent fish on it. :clap2:

Watch those 'twist butts' trouble with a capital 'T', they jam!! OK if it jams in the position you like I suppose????

Suverans are great in their 'boat rod' form, I have 3, I use them as boat casting rods, downtiders and for drifting, I know, I'm a bit weird. Have a look at the 8'6" Greys 'Longboat', again I love them. Superb moving reel seat, the 15-20lb or the 20-30lb might be an option if you are in big tide flow? The butty of the Longboat is, it is a great 'all rounder'. But thats just my opinion :unsure:

S/Warrior

:clap2: We all have our own opinion, that's why there are so many different rods and reels out there. If we were all the same there would only be about 4. :clap2:

I am with Norm on this - I love my sueveran - the extendable but makes it very flexible - if the truth be known I rarely extend it or cast with it !!!!

It is quite soft though and I wouldnt use any more than a 12 oz weight - and then reluctantly !! - best with 6 oz or less.

Are you actually going to uptide ????

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

As the lads said its al down to persoal taste, I havent fished the Nort east in any meaningfull way so cant advise on casting wieght and the like, but what I look for in an uptider is a tippy rod then a stiff middle to but action, if you get the rod fishing properly the tip willl be bent into the bow of line payed out into the tide in order to hold bottom that bits what is missed a lot when poeple fish uptide, its the middle that gives the muscle when fighting your fish getting a good Roker of the bottom in a good tide would emphasise this, chose any make just keep those pointers in mind when parting with your hard earned

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Are you actually going to uptide ????

Ohhh ...you found me out...its the Mrs who wants it to keep her washing from trailing on the ground.

Seriously though there are several skippers who are willing to give it a go if you ask nicely, plus it is a common practice in winter with some good results.

When I have tried uptiding up here I have found a 6oz grip is more than adequate.

I will pass these comments on.

Cheers

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org