My fly fishing exploits - Part 3

Janet

What a read..has got me even more interested in taking steps towards starting a bit of fly fishing.

In my eyes it is the pinnacle of fishing where there is so much technique and watercraft/knowledge involved with fly choices and casting etc.

Good luck with further fly endeavours

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great report Janet. Two things, a two pound trout is a GOOD fish from a north west river. In fact from a lot of them it's a HUGE fish. The second thing is that you should try get over the reluctance to wear waders. A lot of the rivers are cut well down in their banks and you'll be forever catching the grass or trees on your back cast, whereas wading out a few yards the problem disappears (of course you could argue that it will help you develop a better casting technique!) On a lot of the Ribble you'd need to be one hell of a caster to reach the far bank lies from dry land and as a bonus if you are standing halfway across the river you get less hassle from dog walkers!

Another excellent report, Janet - well done. Congratulations on catching your first fish on the fly.

I hope the arm is better soon.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

Colin, I've just ordered some chest waders! Only cheap, but they should be OK for a while until I see how I get on with them, and have the money for a better pair.

It was obvious on Saturday that wearing waders would have vastly improved my chances of getting a fish. I think it was good in a way that I didn't though, as without that feeling that I was going to slip on the stones, I was able to concentrate fully on improving my casting. I think next time I'm wading I'll be much more confident.

I have to disagree just slightly with your comment about the trout in northern rivers, or at least in my particular local river, the River Calder. Last summer I regularly caught fish in excess of 2lbs, with the best being 3lb 4oz. Now that WOULD have been fun to catch on my fly rod!

Janet

Cheap pvc chest waders are fine, I've got some myself. Just buy yourself a tube of "Aquasure" so that if you have any accidents with barbed wire and the like you can fix the punctures "on the spot" while you can remember where they are. It dries in less time than it takes to have a brew (it's not very pretty!) The other thing is fairly obvious, don't try to pull them on by pulling on the upper part, regard them as seperate wellies.

PS. I still think a two pound brownie as a good fish :rolleyes:

Excellent as ever, Janet. Please do keep writing!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Janet - if you plan to use the waders in a variety of conditions, you might consider getting the sort with 'feet' in them and designed for use with various sorts of shoes. For instance, felt soles are excellent for slippery rocks and give a wonderful grip but are useless in mud while the better ones for mud are worthless on rocks.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Janet - if you plan to use the waders in a variety of conditions, you might consider getting the sort with 'feet' in them and designed for use with various sorts of shoes. For instance, felt soles are excellent for slippery rocks and give a wonderful grip but are useless in mud while the better ones for mud are worthless on rocks.

Hello Newt,

Thanks for the link, here's my twopence worth on the wader question:

Buy a pair of Breathable Waders, (Not Neoprene, too hot) but with the boot attached (like a wellington), I bought the 'stocking foot type with separate wading boots 4/5 years ago, excellent in every way except which is why I recommend a pair with boot attached.

I just bought a new pair of stocking foot breathables because I still have a lot of wear left in the Wading Boot but it was a mistake, these are just as bad to get inside the boot.

It also takes longer to put them on than a boot foot pair, husband has those and is usually in the river while I am still tying the laces.

Newt is correct in saying felt soles are great for gripping on slippy rocks, if you buy a pair with a 1/2 felt sole - front part felt - heel rubber, this will give good grip on most surfaces, you can also add wader studs to the sole/heel for extra grip.

Although Neoprene are excellent during early spring and autumn they are too hot for everyday use, Breathables are best, you can buy thermal trousers & vests to wear under them on colder days, much easier to put on too.

We paid £99.00 for both types, a worthwhile investment as they will last a good few years if looked after and barbed wire fences are treated with care, oh and avoid sitting on thistles etc, keep a tube of Stormsure/Aquasure in your freezer for repairs, just thaw, apply and refreeze otherwise it will harden in a very short period, @ around £4/5 a tube you can't afford to waste it.

Hope this is helpful and has posted in the right place. :love::fishing1:

Thanks for all your help and advice! The waders I've ordered are, I think, just PVC - the ones with wellingtons attached, which I hope will keep me going for a while. I'll definitely be taking the advice on getting some Aquasure, as I do tend to be a bit accident prone! I hope they aren't too slippy in the water, but I won't know until I try them out. Do you think I could use those wader studs to give better grip, or perhaps add felt somehow if needed?

However, I don't think they'll be getting a lot of use for a while. I don't drive, but I live near the River Calder, and there are two particularly nice stretches owned by a local angling club, only five minutes walk from my home. I've just found out that it's £150 a year, plus £145 joining fee. A bit beyond me at the moment, as due to some major reorganisation at work, I don't even know if I'm still going to be in a job in a month or two. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but I thought I may be able to buy day permits, but they don't do them here. I will have to start saving up, as they have some really good waters, all within reasonable travelling distance.

There is a stretch adjoining their area which I've been lead to believe is free fishing, but I can't get this confirmed by anyone. It's a nightmare! I've asked anglers fishing the area, and they don't know either! They just go along and take their chances. Firstly I was told that it's owned by a local farmer, who allows fishing. I was then told that it's National Trust property, and then that it's owned by the local council. E-mails to the NT, the Council and to the EA over the past few days have gone unanswered. I haven't managed to find out which farmer is supposed to own it. Very frustrating!

Does anyone know just where you can go to find out who owns the rights to a particular bit of river? I know I could just go and fish, but my day would be ruined if I was pulled up by a bailiff and told to leave. I don't want to spend the day looking over my shoulder.

Janet

Does anyone know just where you can go to find out who owns the rights to a particular bit of river? I know I could just go and fish, but my day would be ruined if I was pulled up by a bailiff and told to leave. I don't want to spend the day looking over my shoulder.

Try your local Environment Agency office. Their staff will almost certainly be able to help.

Apart from "public fisheries" all non-tidal rivers are private fisheries. This means that anyone fishing them is guilty of an offence under the Theft Act 1968 as they are deemed to be stealing the sporting rights.

In many cases on my local rivers the fishing rights are owned by local farmers. A polite approach (without your rod in hand!) often secures permission.

Good luck!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net