Stalking with a landing net..........

Guest Brumagem Phil

Stalking specimen fish with a landing net..........  

32 members have voted

1. 1. A bit of fun or harmful to fish and fishing?

• Totally against it, fishing should be rod and line only.
    • Not over keen on the idea but if you are not harming the fish then why not.
    • Sounds like great fun, might give it a try.
    • Not for me personally, but seems harmless enough

Guest Brumagem Phil

Over the summer, carp often can be found basking on the surface.

I enjoy donning my chest waders and armed with nothing more than a landing net and my wits, spending a sunny afternoon stalking these fish. Upon capture, I simply take a pic or give them a weigh if they are exceptional and let them go again.

People think its easy, but I can assure them its far from it!

Anyway, the bottom line is I enjoy doing it, and consider that as I'm not harming the fish and not inconveniencing anyone else that its ok. I find it very enjoyable.

A couple of people however have taken great issue with me doing this on my 'blog' so I thought I'd throw it open to the forum to see what others think..........

Edited by Brumagem Phil

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd not thought of this before although I once saw Matt Hayes scoop a pike that was following in a perch he had just hooked. Not for me I must say but I can't see anything wrong with it ethically or otherwise...what did the gripes on your blog consist of..?

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

i think what you are describing is a form of poaching

better watch what your up to you could end up in court,

or even get all the gear you have with you inc vehicle confiscated by the law.

Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Wading and netting fish is not for me, especially when targetting spawning fish

I class myself as an angler and that means going after feeding, not spawning,fish with rod and line and when I catch my chosen species I feel a sense of achievement

Wading and netting fish regardless of spawning or not is as far as I'm aware illegal

Is it not how many of us started, only on a slightly larger scale?

How many of us started off as youngsters, with fishing nets, catching tiddlers? It may not be everyone's idea of fun, but I really can't see anything at all wrong with it.

We're happy enough to catch fish using rod and line - some of us with lures and pretty vicious trebles. Why is netting them any worse?

I've yet to hear a convincing argument against it.

Janet

Wading and netting fish regardless of spawning or not is as far as I'm aware illegal

I've had a quick look, but I can't find any regulations banning it. Obviously poaching (ie. taking the fish) is totally wrong, but this isn't relevant in this case, is it?

Edited by JSD

if a bailiff sees a person with a fish in a landing net , without a rod

the most logical explanation would probably be that the person is poaching,

trying to prove otherwise would be very difficult.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

if a bailiff sees a person with a fish in a landing net , without a rod

the most logical explanation would probably be that the person is poaching,

trying to prove otherwise would be very difficult.

A good point, and one that I hadn't thought of. Whilst understanding that, IS there actually a law against it?

Janet

poaching yes use of a landing net !! unsure

may be covered by the law on fish traps if it is then the licence costs roughly £80.00 info very vague

would not like to put it to the test.

just found this it is Scottish law don't know about down south of the border..

Fishing for freshwater fish

In general, the only permitted method of fishing for freshwater fish is by rod and line as defined in Section 24(1) of the 1951 Act, as amended by section 8(6) of the 1986 Act. However, under section 2(2) of the 1951 Act, in any pond or loch, where all proprietors agree, a right of fishing for trout by net may be exercised, and in any inland water, a proprietor or occupier having a right of freshwater fishing may take any freshwater fish other than trout by means of a net or trap.

see Scottish office website for full info. Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

If you have paid to fish on the venue then is it against the rules? Most venues i fish state that a landing net must be used, they dont say they cant be used to catch fish.

Although netting fish in shallow water probably would cause damage to them

I'm really interested in getting a definitive answer to Phil's question, about catching fish with a net.

I guess at heart I'm really still that little girl with her fishing net and jam jar .... I well remember the feeling of creeping up stealthily and netting that fish, little though it may have been.

Janet