lights on a yak

kayakkarma

Dead jealous of the hounds of the sowlyville weekend and really need to sort out some sort of light on the yak. Been trawling through the old search threads on navigation lights and was just wondering if things had evolved since then. I intend to buy a head led light from lidl's and maybe an emergency battery powered nav light from a chandlers and customise it using Richi's Anglers Afloat version.

Any comments gratefully recieved as I am in the dark :D:D

KK

Don't bother mate, they won't be visible to anything big. I've just been going through the RNLI dvd, and the section on navigation lights make you realise how useless they would be on a yak.

Agree with Paintfly, do bother.

If you're fishing at night you need a light, preferably a fixed 360 degree white light on a pole along with a secondary light as backup (bright headtorch) which can come in handy for general fishing & surf landing at night. The coastguard, RNLI and other boat users wouldn't take too kindly to a kayaker with no lights at night. In quieter areas you can get away with just a headtorch although the ideal is a 360degree white light. For close in bass fishing I may turn off the main nav light and just use the headtorch.

The bulbs in a standard nav light can look a bit weedy, however this can be upgraded to an ultrabright one. I think Overrun, Darnsarf & myself use the same bulb: a 24 led one from www.ultraleds.co.uk and its very bright.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Well ok, stay legal

got no choice in Southampton water--the harbourmaster normally will pay you a visit :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Just got one of these from scotty its small neat and visable for two miles

SEA-LIGHT for paddling safety USCG approved light - visible up to two miles. Waterproof and corrosion resistant. Runs up to 8 hrs. on 2 "AA" batteries. Removable light is portable and can easily be attached to a life jacket.

823 - Includes 20" pole and No. 241 Side/Deck Mount

824 - Includes 20" pole and No. 244 Flush Deck Mount

825 - Includes suction cup base and safety leash.

827 - Includes 20" pole and No. 444 Compact Threaded Deck Mount

http://www.scottypaddlesports.com/pages/safetygear.html

Edited by yakerbass
anglersnetsig.jpg

Just got one of these from scotty its small neat and visable for two miles

SEA-LIGHT for paddling safety USCG approved light - visible up to two miles. Waterproof and corrosion resistant. Runs up to 8 hrs. on 2 "AA" batteries. Removable light is portable and can easily be attached to a life jacket.

Hi YB

I don't wish to disappoint but you may find the light is not that bright. I have a C-light, it looks the same as the Scotty one. I'd find it hard to spot a paddler 1/2mile away in pitch black with one of these! (http://www.bournemouthcanoes.co.uk/productpages/canoeing-equipment/sea-kayak-equipment.htm).

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow