bait or lures?

dapper64

Tell him the British record was caught on a lure (A Creek Chub Pikie) and big Pike are caught REGULARLY on lures.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

my mate seems to be under the illusion that you can only catch big pike i.e over 8 lb with bait ,I myself am not sure so whats the biggest pike any of you have caught with a spinner or a plug?
<_< tell him i recently caught my pb 24lbs 4 oz on a surface lure

my mate seems to be under the illusion that you can only catch big pike i.e over 8 lb with bait ,I myself am not sure so whats the biggest pike any of you have caught with a spinner or a plug?

I'm not a pike fisherman (yet)...but from what I've read the larger fish are caught on lures...

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Dapper this was a common misconception held by UK pikers for many years.A lot of the reason it came about was due to the fact that untill quite recent years the only easily available lures were the relatively small US Large Mouth Bass designs.Jeeze I remember when a Big"S" was regarded as a big lure! Some enterprising guys in the early 80's started getting larger Musky lures in from the US but these were still hard to get hold of and very expensive.A lot of us started buying fom the US mail order companies and we soon learned how good these frightening lures are! These days there is no problem getting good lures,more people are using them and consequently more big pike are caught on them.

Also for many years we didnt really understand how to use many of the top pike/musky lures from the US.We were so used to lures that had an in built action so merely needed retrieving that when we tried the "Jerk" type baits we thought they were crap! and on a straight retrieve they certainly are as ver few have much of an inbuilt action at all.

UK pikers have (and still some) stuggled to get their head around 8" lures.....strange really when they will happily use similar or indeed much larger deadbaits!

That said though (thought I best mention this before some one took me to task!) small lures can catch big pike and I site Gareth Edwards one time record from Llangdegfedd and indeed Peter Stones one time lue caught record. 40+ on a Mepps and 30+ on a Tadpolly respectively!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!