YORKSHIRE COAST

Hake

Hi All,

To date all of my yak fishing has been done in Wales, but living near Sheffield I'm fairly centrally placed, so the East coast is fairly handy.

Just looking at the forecast for the weekend, it looks like lightish westerlies, so might give the east coast a try.

Access is usually the issue there...very steep access down to the water in many spots. The walk up from Robin Hood's Bay to the carpark is bad without any baggage, never mind with a yak :blink:

Odes anyone have any recommended spots from an access perspective ?...nearby parking and easy access to the water ?

Thanks. :thumbs:

Mike

Hi ... try Flamborough North and South landings .... both with good car parking and shops etc and a shortish but a little steep to the beach. Good catches from North landing at the mo ... plenty of Cod, makkies and some nice ling too .. South landing is often more sheletered but slightly less productive ...

Car park at North landing is £1.50 all day ..... cheap ! We regularly go our from there as we live in Hull ..

thanks

keith

The water is very clear at the moment and most fish are taken on Hokki / lures etc ... theres some lovely Cod too up to and over 5lb close inshore under Bempton Cliffs ...

click on this link for some aerial shots - you can zoom in and out. Shows where we launch from at North landing ...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...0&encType=1

beware on the east coast this weekend, the forecast may be for light westerlies but there will be a decent 4-6ft clean ground swell running. this rules out any open beach launches unless it is south facing to give you a bit of shelter. You might get launched ok at south landing at flamboro or in filey bay but beware of fishing under cliffs due to the backwash or in shallow water as a set of 6ft + waves would quite easily catch you out !! the best forecast for up to date swell info is www.magic seaweed .com

Rob

Beware the tide rip at Flamborough too. Because of the geography the tide runs very fast inshore.

Runswick Bay is a decent place to try. There is a hard landing at high tide and clean sand to drag the boat across at low water. It is sheltered, there is car parking nearby although not as cheap as the North Landing (and my wallet is still recovering after the Sth. Landing car park prices). There is also a cafe, pub and toilets nearby.

There are plenty of flatties in the bay and you have a chance of other fish near the headlands.

BTW- I'm just up the M1 from you. J37 /38 area.

This is Runswick........McYak.jpg

Regards, Clive

Thanks for all the info.

I've been to Runswick Bay once before, just for a walk. I remember parking at the top of the hill and it was a steep walk down. I seem to recall a car park at the bottom of the hill, but I thought it was for boat club members only...or something like that. Guess I was wrong and its public access. It looked like a nice spot.

Nicepix....I'm based in Dronfield, between Sheffield and Chesterfield. Jn 33 would be my nearest going north. I used to be in a club (Charter fishing) based in Barnsley (Barugh Green), not far from Jns 37 and 38.

Mike

Thanks for all the info.

I've been to Runswick Bay once before, just for a walk. I remember parking at the top of the hill and it was a steep walk down. I seem to recall a car park at the bottom of the hill, but I thought it was for boat club members only...or something like that. Guess I was wrong and its public access. It looked like a nice spot.

Nicepix....I'm based in Dronfield, between Sheffield and Chesterfield. Jn 33 would be my nearest going north. I used to be in a club (Charter fishing) based in Barnsley (Barugh Green), not far from Jns 37 and 38.

Mike

Hake I dont know if you know about Volusians site www.kayakfishing.co.uk. ?? If not its well worth joining as there are a few yorkshire lads who post catch reports throughout the area, also lots of other useful yakking information too. There is also supposed to be a meet at filey this coming saturday ( weather and sea conditions permitting !! )

Rob

Thanks for the info Robg. I didn't know about the site.

I have now registered and will make some time over the weekend to read through the posts. If the weather remains as c$%p as its been these past two days in Sheffield, I'm staying in all weekend !

Thanks for the info Robg. I didn't know about the site.

I have now registered and will make some time over the weekend to read through the posts. If the weather remains as c$%p as its been these past two days in Sheffield, I'm staying in all weekend !

Yes me too I think, Ive just done the 8 mile school run across Hull and could easily have done more than half of it the Yak !!

It was up to the sills in a few places :unsure::unsure: