Reels?

noodle996

Must confess I am a Shimano man through and through and find it hard to go for another reel, having used them for so long with out a glitch.

I was considering Daiwa and the Emcast is a good bit of kit, as with most of their reels, especialy the Regal Plus 5000 BRI big pit, also a lovely well priced reel, I have only this last few weeks been getting some new reels, so checking them all out. I did look at the new Okuma powerliner and with a 5 YEAR WARRANTY it was tempting, and at £40, it seems to cut the mustard, especialy at that price. Also checked out the Wychwood range and was keen on the new Exorcist, how ever have heard several bad reports about them, gears/clutches etc failing from people that have got them.

A lot of it is down to what you need, how big the venue, distance your fishing etc etc and also personal preferance and at the end of it, how much you can afford and if your a tackle tart at heart.

Edited by trevor2003

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok what reels should I go for currently have the bllody awfull long cast shimano baitruners.

I am thinking of replacing them with a standard (non baitrunner) big reel any recomendations for reels around the 50 quid mark?

I have gte 8000b shimanos and cannot fault them except that they are heavy , have used Daiwa in the past and they were well made as well.

I agree with the earlier post "you get what you pay for" . I think this is especially true in today's world.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I have gte 8000b shimanos and cannot fault them except that they are heavy , have used Daiwa in the past and they were well made as well.

I agree with the earlier post "you get what you pay for" . I think this is especially true in today's world.

That is what I went for in the end Kestrel the 8000 GTE-B 's after having the 10000 XTE's for years, they don't feel that heavy to me, but if you want a well made alloy bodied reel, rather than the plastic composite type bodies, they are going to be a tad heavier, but the gears etc are so smoooottthhhh :thumbs:

Rob, sorry friend but you have been swallowed up by the hype! Shimano have used OKUMA parts for years!! They basically are one and the same. Just SHIMANO have there reels ASSEMBLED where they can get it done the cheapest I fear.

I note Shimano do NOT offer long warranties??? Just a standard one year.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic! Not something I normally do.......... Have a look at the Wychwood reels? Still probably come from the same factory? But they seem REALLY suited to BIG fish work to me? But NOT the lightest of reels!! But reasonably priced!!

Chris,

I don't do marketing hype but I do know my shimano reels have all been faultless and many of them I've had for 10 years +. As for Okuma, I don't know much about them, but I've never seen an okuma clone of a shimano reel, so something is obviously different. I will however ask my mate who owns the local tackle shop.

Rob.

That is what I went for in the end Kestrel the 8000 GTE-B 's after having the 10000 XTE's for years, they don't feel that heavy to me, but if you want a well made alloy bodied reel, rather than the plastic composite type bodies, they are going to be a tad heavier, but the gears etc are so smoooottthhhh :thumbs:

I agree, they are well made and will last for years to come. I didn't realise that the 10000 XTE's were much heavier.

They are smooth, well made and look the part as well .

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I agree, they are well made and will last for years to come. I didn't realise that the 10000 XTE's were much heavier.

They are smooth, well made and look the part as well .

10K is not that much heavier, all though they are bigger, but after using them so long, you wouldn't notice the difference realy. I also like the twin handle, feels alot easier to use, as it seems closer to the reel body. Had a try with some shimano XLT 3 1/4 tc rods (i think that was the one's) and the big pit aerolex reels at carp fest last saturday on the shimano set up on the lake with Steve Renyard and had a spod on. The handles felt massive after the 10K's, dispite a very high line retrieve rate, was good that you could try all their rods and reels out though and have the space to realy give them some welly.

Double handles are one of my biggest hates Why would you want to make the bit you grip smaller with a little faffy handle instead of a big grippalble t bar

It's as with all things with rod's and reel's and tackle in general, a lot is down to what you personaly prefer, but at the end of the day, your reel handle won't catch you any more or bigger carp at the end of the day, it's whats on the other end that counts, well thats asuming the handle turns.

I have Daiwa Regal BRI's, both a 4000 and a 3500, and I've been very happy with both of these, and I'm pretty sure they are around the fifty quid mark. They do have baitrunner facilities on them tho.

I have Daiwa Regal BRI's, both a 4000 and a 3500, and I've been very happy with both of these, and I'm pretty sure they are around the fifty quid mark. They do have baitrunner facilities on them tho.

You can get them cheaper than £50, the BRI 5000 Regal plus big pit is £42.99 at Leslies or you can get a 2006 model, that doesn't have the air bale from a guy in Ireland and he quoted me £165 including postage for 4, the 3500 and 4000 are even cheaper, as all ways, pays to shop around.

They are a nice reel for the price and had some good feedback from people that use them.