pike fishing canals

TTmitchy

It's the gill rakers rather than the teeth that cause the constant bleeding. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that there's something on/in them which happens to act as an anti-coagulant, but as a by-product rather than a primary function.

Cuts from the teeth can bleed for a long time if they're deep, just like any other cut.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See what I've started? I reckon that's a good theory too. It carries more weight than the grim-bite-of-doom stuff.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I've never pike fished a canal, I'd be interested in any (general) information too. I guess it's a case of trying a spot for a bit and then moving on, dodging boats. Wobbling might be good...?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sorry about keeping it off topic but I promise I will add something about cannal piking in general after!

As sais the main reasons given for an anti coagulant are so that the fish is weakened and can easily be tracked if it escapes whilst being turned. The other (kind of touching on what John mentions) is that it helps with digestion and keeping the throat and gill rakers clear of congealed blood (due to the way a fish breathes I should imagine that any "dirtying" of the rakers would reduce there eficiency.Like I said Ive always accepted it but have never seen any hard evidence (a lot of fish biologists are the same).

I had always assumed that the gill rakers themselves always bled so profusely if damaged due to them being full of "pressurised" blood but again Johns sugestion would be just as believable.

I totally poo poo the sharp cuts bleed more stuff as look what happens if you cut your self on the tool while using/cleaning a lathe? you dont really notice it when you do it and it certainly doesnt bleed much?

Ive had cuts from both teeth and (far more commonly) gill rakers and both have bled a lot more than if I had stuck a hook in myself/caught my hand with the filleting knife or similar.All in the same wet and cold enviroment.In fact took quite a chunk off the end of my finger on the fly wheel of a Seagull engine on Awe one day that bled a lot less (but hurt a lot more!!) than later raker rash.

Not sure but would be nice to find out. Either way thiugh if it is just an Old wives tale its easy to see how its come about!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

This has to be true.

Critter_Spitting_Pike.jpg

The Spitting Pike - Esox Spature

The Spitting Pike is the Awakened cousin of the common pike (Esox lucius). It grows throughout its lifetime, ranging from 1 meter at 5 years to 2.5 meters in 15 years. The largest specimen caught to date was 3.71 meters long. It has a large mouth with 28 small teeth on the top and 18 larger teeth on the bottom. It has complex, top-mounted eyes that allow it to accurately gauge distances. It is covered in green-brown scales, with an underbelly of yellow-green and brown spots.

The spitting pike is mostly a nocturnal predator, feeding aggressively on other fish. It can also spit corrosive saliva, allowing it to hunt water birds and mammals. The spitting pike is highly territorial and aggressive, attacking anything that comes into its territory. It eats far more than it needs for sustenance, and seems to amuse itself by tearing apart its prey.

The spitting pike is highly sought after as a game fish, due to its size and dangerous spitting attack. It is found throughout Europe in freshwater lakes and rivers.

Well.............I'm convinced :o

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...