Shark Fishing

*Blaze*

I had a go last year for the blues that come in fairly close off the southern Irish coast. There is a mark there where they do come within 1 mile and less of the shore. It was not successful - there were 6 charter boats fishing the same area for a week - not a single run between us.

I also paddled out almost to the Fastnet, further west and about 5 or 6 miles out - blowing a bit so I didn't go any further. Again, only caught a few mackerel - water gin clear. I must have been able to see the feathers down to 60 feet, or so it seemed! Again no luck though.

To be really successful you need A LOT of dubby in the water. I am going in end July possibly early August with a skipper (it has been mentioned, but not in public) right out. He will put the slick out - and we're talking 2 dustbinfulls - and I'll drift with him and fish the slick. The trouble is for a real chance of getting a blue shark you need to be well out. There are the odd ones coming in close - but you need to live on the spot and keep at it to get lucky and coincide. Porbeagles are easy to find - 1 mile out off Bude area. Plenty of them - but even a small porgie is a mean beast and about 1 in 4 will charge the boat - headbutt normally, some actually start to bite at the boat - they do get mean. Of course, you could get lucky and get hooked up to a nice, docile, 80lber - but the chance of meeting mum is always there. Porgies also breach regularly.....blues I have no problem with. I first muted the idea of a porgie because of their proximity to the shore.

I think there is a more realistic chance of a blue from hitching a lift the 20 miles or more out......I also have the maings of a trip from N. Ireland again with a boat to do the donkey work, asa friend of mine had 18 blues to his own rod in one day last year......that is the best chance I have heard of! Late August or Early September is the time there - I am going for late August so as to get to Richis week down south!

Rods - 30lb class is fine from a kayak, depending on the capacity of your reel a 20lb could be ok, but you will have to work much harder. You will be fishing them on the drift. A good drogue is necessary otherwise you cannot put any pressure on the fish. I use one that is about 4 feet square and it is fine.

Reels: any medium multiplier with plenty of capacity. You want about 35o yards capacity - 50lb braid would be best - you could use 30lb braid with a long tapered leader as the rubbing length.

Wire trace - at least 3 feet of 200lb wirethen a length of 20lb mono - rod length for on the kayak (your trace needs to be shorter so you can handle the fish - putting the rod in the holder while handlining the trace in is risking a dive from the surface and the trace snagging something before it gets back to the rod tip.....a shorter trace length of rod length only means you can reach the fish without having loose line around the place. PUT THE DRAG RIGHT OFF AND RATCHET ON ONCE IT IS AT THE KAYAK. That way,if it dives you can let go and the reel will let it go without trying to tip you over or pull the rod out of the slot and you won't get an overrun.

Hooks - circle hooks are the thing now. Through the lips and up through the head - not too far back so you don't mask the point. OR through the eyes. You can increase the hook hold by sewing the hook into place too.

I think it is going to happen this summer.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its many yars ago now, but there used to be a good run of blue sharks off Horn Head in Donegal each year, around Sep time. Last time I fished it was 1991 (before I moved to England) and we had 14 blues in two days....all within 1.5 - 2 miles of the shore.

The common problem with North Donegal (well all of Donegal really) is the weather ....generally wet and WINDY.

Still, with the right conditions, its got some potential...if the sharks are still there.

dont you think you should catch a tope first simon :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Sounds like you could be a serious contender Simon ,I think your write in what you say about targeting blues their not quite as naughty as the porgies.

Your plan of going with a boat makes sense for safety and to see how practical it is to catch a blue from a yak, however catching one unassisted will be the holy grail , what do you think?

Had look around on some of the US forums and cant find anyone who's had a blue yet, seen back tips, threshers, lemons, and small bulls!

If you can do it you could be one the first people to catch a confirmed blue in the world

Good luck.

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

:headhurt: mmmmm hadn’t seen that post if that was a blue zippey done well to get it in on a 12lb hook length, if the photo hasn’t been adjusted I cant think what else it could be.

Hey Phoo, what class of rod you going to be using for the porgies? Was thinking about getting a 30lb Euroboat, should the shark meet ever materialise, but would rather get the 20lb, as it would stand more chance of getting used occasionally. You think it would be up to the job?

Don't think I'll use anything much above a 30lb class but not sure how much abuse the euroboats will take ( Richi has busted 2 that I know of ).

Its really down to how much you can pressure a running fish from the yak. I would opt for the tow with a drogue - they really work - just try paddling with a bait bag hanging off the side of your yak !

No point in a really heavy rod - my arms would prolly come off.

I got some traces from ROK MAX and they are 480lb 3' shackled to a 15' 480lb leader ( both out of multi strand wire). OK so thats for charter fishing but it makes you think a bit.

Ordered a nice new reel as well :D

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Tart-tastic :P .... Go on then, what is it?

Shimano TLD 20 - lever drag, 300+ yds of 40lb capacity, ball bearing thingys and all for £90.00 delivered - so long as the posties don't go on strike :(

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard