my yak

robq

Hi all, just thought I would share a few pics of my setup, I have had the prowler elite for around a month now and have got it 95% of the way towards how I want it.

I need a new seat as the standard one does not offer enough support for me and the lack of padding in the base gives me numb bum after 3 or 4 hours !

I was looking at the apex universal on the brighton canoe site, they look amazingly comfortable but unfortunately are out of stock for another 3 weeks or so, Anyone out there know of any other decent backrests ? or where I can get the apex ?

myyak006.jpg

here is my crate with holders for the anchor, fishbag and drogue.

myyak005.jpg

this is my fisfinder/ GPS and compass setup, its not perfect but with limited room I have yet to find a better solution, anyone got any other ideas ?

myyak007.jpg

This is the anchor trolley setup, prowler 4.5 elite owners beware when following the kayak uk site instructions for the trolley you will have to position the control line cleat more forward than they do, as it is impossible to reach the position inside the yak to fit the bolts where they fit it on the p13. I found this out after drilling the holes !!

myyak008.jpg

Looks good.

I use the standard seat - I find it fine. Plenty good enough as far as back support goes once adjusted correctly. What I do, however, is place an unhooking mat underneath me as a cushion (with a dual use) and this gives me a comfortable seat, it soaks up a lot of excess water as well and covers the full width. £7 from Argos in the fishing section i think.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

prowler 4.5 elite owners beware when following the kayak uk site instructions for the trolley you will have to position the control line cleat more forward than they do, as it is impossible to reach the position inside the yak to fit the bolts where they fit it on the p13. I found this out after drilling the holes !!

myyak008.jpg

Why is that? It's not easy on the P13 either, and only achievable with a ratchet spanner on the end of an extension (length of broom handle) nylock nuts are also helpful.

It's a bit of a rite of passage. I failed to do it, the first time, even with a friend helping, until I got the tool modifications exactly right; then I did it on my own (swells with pride) :clap2:

Your yak looks the biz btw :thumbs: Although, it is always a work in progress :rolleyes:

(Compass possibly too near the electronics?)

Why is that? It's not easy on the P13 either, and only achievable with a ratchet spanner on the end of an extension (length of broom handle) nylock nuts are also helpful.

It's a bit of a rite of passage. I failed to do it, the first time, even with a friend helping, until I got the tool modifications exactly right; then I did it on my own (swells with pride) :clap2:

Your yak looks the biz btw :thumbs: Although, it is always a work in progress :rolleyes:

(Compass possibly too near the electronics?)

glad someone else had problems ,was standing on my head in the end . the air was blue in my garage. hence i only fitted one side. i used a rachet tied to a garden cane which i had to do by feel

:thumbs:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Rob

I have a P13 and am going down the route of getting RAM mounts for all the electronics (except Fishfinder) and for rod holders. That way I can keep everything in reach but out of the way. It is expensive mind but hopefully worth it.

Cheers

Gerry

rob where did you get your drogue ,was it in the uk ?

trev

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

rob where did you get your drogue ,was it in the uk ?

trev

Hi Trev, it is a DIY job !! an old pair of nylon type chest waders that were ripped at the boot. I cut them off just above the thighs and cable tied the bottom together tightly, I then cut off all the straps and tied the 3 pieces of cord to holes I melted in the tops. I hav,nt used it yet as I have only just got my anchor trolley sorted, I will probably give it a try out tomorrow depending on conditions, Its only about 2ft across the mouth so not sure if it is going to be big enough ??

Gerry I think I will have to look at the RAM mounts for my compass and electronics as I am not completely happy with this setup. If anyone has any pics of their mounts I wouldnt mind having a look.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Trev, it is a DIY job !! an old pair of nylon type chest waders that were ripped at the boot. I cut them off just above the thighs and cable tied the bottom together tightly, I then cut off all the straps and tied the 3 pieces of cord to holes I melted in the tops. I hav,nt used it yet as I have only just got my anchor trolley sorted, I will probably give it a try out tomorrow depending on conditions, Its only about 2ft across the mouth so not sure if it is going to be big enough ??

Gerry I think I will have to look at the RAM mounts for my compass and electronics as I am not completely happy with this setup. If anyone has any pics of their mounts I wouldnt mind having a look.

Cheers

Rob

Rob - I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the post. Will upload some piccys once I've put them on the yak. Spanner/Paul has been really helpful in guiding my choice of parts - the RAM catalogue is a bit of a minefield I think! I'm sure he has some pictures of his set up on the site and there are loads more out there in Google-land.

Cheers

Gerry

thanks Gerry I will do a bit of searching when time allows !! look forward to your pics though.

Bobboy your the 2nd person on a different site to think that MY prowler is the same one as theirs !! must be NZ models. Cant remember where the crate came from as its been in the garage for years !! fits a treat though.

Rob