calibrating your screen?

Ollie Jay

Hi peeps

Just got myself a new computer and have to say the monitor doesn't quite seem right with some of the pics ive put on and was wondering if there is a cheep(pref free) way calibrating my screen? ive seen a few ways on the net but was just wondering what you fine bunch use to do yours? I know alot of the photographers and printers use something called spyder or summit but have to pay for that one..........any advice out there as i feel i really need to get the monitor set up right before i do any editing on any photos i take in the near future.

Many thanks

ps....not been taking many shots lately due to my old computer playing up so much so not been around but i see there are still a load of great pics going into the comps!! well done all and keep it up!

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album

Hi Ollie ..

There are quite a few monitor calibrators out there, but let's start at the beginning.

What video card is in your new PC ? Look in Start/Control Panel/Display/Settings and that should tell you.

If it is NVIDIA then you can download calibrating software from their site. Or it may already be on your PC !

Wiggly. :rolleyes:

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

not just calibrating the screen to suit the picture on it but calibrating your printer to print a true representation of what you see would be nice.

i have a lexmark (relax i didnt pay full price for it) print a picture using the 3 colours and black is remarkably different from chucking in a photo cart (goes in the black cart slot) and printing in six colour :o my mrs's kodak thermal printer is even better!!! but neither are as good as the original if you scan it for a copy.

so you have to have the scanner ,printer and monitor all showing the same as the thing your viewing ,i'v tried using the varies settings but never found a good representation for all

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi peeps

Just got myself a new computer and have to say the monitor doesn't quite seem right with some of the pics ive put on and was wondering if there is a cheep(pref free) way calibrating my screen? ive seen a few ways on the net but was just wondering what you fine bunch use to do yours? I know alot of the photographers and printers use something called spyder or summit but have to pay for that one..........any advice out there as i feel i really need to get the monitor set up right before i do any editing on any photos i take in the near future.

Many thanks

ps....not been taking many shots lately due to my old computer playing up so much so not been around but i see there are still a load of great pics going into the comps!! well done all and keep it up!

Ollie Jay, it all gets a bit technical according to the web these days, was a lot simpler a couple of years ago? 'PS Elements 5' onwards, has a calibrator in the program. Her are a few links I dug out of the web, might help:

http://www.nies.ch/doc/monitor.en.php

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial...profiling.shtml

As I say they might help certainly point you in a direction?

SW

ok peeps thanks for your help on this and i thought id let you know i think ive sorted the screen but time will tell.....maybe when my pics come out to sharp or not sharp enough which im hopping they wont!!...it is weird though that some shots look pretty good on my comp and others just don't!! oh well will see how i get on and will probably have to go through this all over again when i set my new printer up when i get round to buying one!

Thanks again for the advice....had to do manually though as couldn't find nvidia software on the site and couldn't find it on my comp either.

Ollie.

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album