Bass Scales & Measurements Needed

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a good plan!! We might learn a tad about the species............ :D :D

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

Elton

Thanks for publicising the scale collection exercise.

Carefully taken from the flank of a bass, removing a few scales does not cause lasting harm to the fish. These scales will grow back quite quickly with replacements as the fish grows.

Anyone interested in working out the approx. weight of a bass, without actualy weighing it, might be interested in a ready reckoner bass measure tape. This has been produced using hundreds of weight to length measurement of bass and is pretty accurate.

431396590_1c8bccbc4d.jpg

Ok, I admit, it's not much to look at - but believe me a lot of work has gone into sourcing the material (something called Tyvek), and adding length to weight conversion measurements.

On one edge are the measuring increments and on the opposing edge are the length to weight calculations. Tyvek is rip-proof, rot-proof, water-proof - in fact it appears near enough indestructible. So ideal for a saltwater environment.

They are available for the princely sum of £2 per tape with all proceeds going to the Restoration Project Fund.

Please send cheques made payable to BASS to:

John Halton

BASS Treasurer

Millway Cottage

Hoofield Lane

Huxley

Chester

CH3 9BR

It's got to be the must have accessory to be seen with on the shore this season . . . .

Cheers

Steve

What a brilliant idea, Steve!

I've taken the liberty of adding details here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/bass_measurement_tape.html

and here:

http://www.nesa.co.uk/News/bass_measurement_tape.html

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

can i say what a good idea i think that tape is......one thing though?is that the measurements in cm on one edge and the weight in pounds on the other????????? :lol::lol: only in england :lol:

cheers dave.

Believe me Dave, we had a heated debate over whether to go with imperial or metric? :rolleyes:

Decided a compromise was in order to keep everyone happy -

Euro-sceptics?

Us?

Perhaps we should provide a lbs to Kilos and cms to inches conversion card with each tape.

Cheers

Steve

er, the tape is blank on the reverse side.

Must be something useful to be done with that!

:clap2: I was just going to suggest that one side is imperial and the other metric. Is it purely length or length x girth as a fat bass will weigh more than a thin one and all my bass are fat ones. PS, when you've decided what form the tape will eventually take send me an ad and I'll run you some free ads as it's for a good cause.. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B

Believe me Dave, we had a heated debate over whether to go with imperial or metric? :rolleyes:

Decided a compromise was in order to keep everyone happy -

Euro-sceptics?

Us?

Perhaps we should provide a lbs to Kilos and cms to inches conversion card with each tape.

Cheers

Steve

hi steve.LOL dont get me wrong.. it was no way a crititism of the tape ..an excellent idea.

its just such a cock up all this mixing of imperial and metric measurements!

its even common now to see things like "5.4 lbs"written.....is that 5 point 4 pounds? or 5 lbs 4 ozs?? :lol:

even worse are the coarse fishing lot! eg

"i arrived at my swim and set up my 16metre pole to fish at 3 feet depth,i had brought a pint of maggots and fed 5mm pellets,my line was 0.010 mono at 1lb 10 ozs,with a 2 gram float i managed several roach to 1 lb!" :lol::lol: i dunno how you lot cope with it!

as i said no way a crititism just a light hearted observation :thumbs:

have a good weekend dave. :lol:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Jun 23 2007, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS, when you've decided what form the tape will eventually take send me an ad and I'll run you some free ads as it's for a good cause.. :clap2:

Norm,

The tape is currently available and for sale (I've bought a couple, much handier than the metal tape I've been carrying around till now, and it doesn't rust, floats too! They are made of Tyvek which is rip-proof, rot-proof and water-proof)

431396590_1c8bccbc4d.jpg

They are available for the princely sum of £2 per tape with all proceeds going to the Restoration Project Fund.

Please send cheques made payable to BASS to:

John Halton

BASS Treasurer

Millway Cottage

Hoofield Lane

Huxley

Chester

CH3 9BR

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust