Hello and a Small Report 01/07/07

lewis888

Hello everyone, just joined the forum here, it looks ace. Some of you may know me from WSF where I use the same user name. Until recently I was a hardcore sea angler (with a bit of game experience from my local river and a bit of reservoir trout) but at easter I decided to dabble with the pike and eels in some of the Lochs that surround Dumfries and I have to say I love it! Its mostly been a case of making it up as I go along so if I mention anything that shouldn't be done or I should change please mention it....any info is a massive bonus! But anyway, I look forward to posting on here and to start it off here's a wee report from today :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning I decided to head out today to a small local Loch for pike and eels. What a day....unbelievably frustrating springs to mind! Fished two rods, one for pike and one for eels, quiet morning but the sport picked up towards the afternoon with a few missed runs and a small eel (about 1lb) which dropped of just before the net.

It poured down for about an hour and I retreated to my shelter for a sleep, when I woke up after the rain and walked towards my rods there was a big swirl as a pike darted from the shallows, it must have been in raking up all the old bait I had chucked in - but more on that later ;)

Missed loads of runs and finally hit into a slightly better fish, at first I thought it was a small jack but it was a good sized eel (1lb 14oz) and my pb eel so far. Very good fight which surprised me, with lots of powerfull dives and frantic spinning and just as much fight on the bank...wow they move quickly in wet grass! (while trying to take a pic I had a run on my pike rod, in the picture you will notice the hanger is right against the rod before it dropped off the alarm was going crazy and the baitrunner was doing its job....unfortunately I didn't manage to connect with that fish! too much happening at once ) DSCN1419.jpg

DSCN1416.jpg

DSCN1418.jpg

At about 5pm I was still blanking on the pike front, unusual for the Loch: whilst re-baiting a rod I threw a mackeral tail about 20ft out into the water and a few seconds later there was a big swirl were my bait had landed! I assume it was the same pike hanging about waiting for scraps. I threw in a few small chunks of lamprey to keep it occupied and reeled in one rod which I used to freeline a length of lamprey into the area where I'd seen the fish, I had literally just sat the rod in the rest as the bait sank through the water when the slack tightened up and started stripping the drag. Turned out to be a nice pike of 6lb 10oz and one of the most exciting fishing experiences of my life! :thumbs: :thumbs:

DSCN1422.jpg

DSCN1421.jpg

The weather was variable, from lashing rain to bright sunshine. Should really have had more fish but I missed a lot of runs, from about noon onwards they fish were going crazy. Apologies for the poor pictures, I was on my own and so had to set the camera timer and dash infront of it, which explains why my head is cut off in one pic lol!!

Hi Lewis,

Welcome to AN, your first post is an excellent report with nice pic's thank very much. Great to hear that fresh water fishing is giving you a big high.

Good luck on your future trips and keep us informed.

Regards.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Yes, nice report and pictures - good to see someone enjoying his fishing.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...