gripping the spool

A Norfolk Boy

During some sessions I lose the natural grip of my thumb which means I can't put in a big cast. I have tried a section of bike inner tube before, but if this touches the spool during the cast then the friction damages the line. Perhaps this is too grippy and I need something with grip, but not too much. Thoughts anyone?

its what ive be taught to use by casting instructor and he has told me the black marks will not effect the line as it is thumb slippage which occurs quite a bit

have seen some with what look like cut off marrigold glove

and also was told to dry last few turns of main line and most of shockleader prior to a big cast with a rag

on a john wlison prog the other day looked like he and neil mckellow had blue tape around their thumbs

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

when using a bit of inner tube tape the tube to the rod at the end nearest the reel and below it and then fold it back on its-self to grip the reel. Then when you release on the cast the tube will spring back and hang down the handle clear of your reel instad of over it.

Hope that all makes sense.

I think ABM is correct but you can ask him at http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/

go to the message board in the general section.

Why not use two rods, string your inner tube between them, and catapult your baits out? I'd wager that you'd still exceed my best efforts... :D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Westie:

Why not use two rods, string your inner tube between them, and catapult your baits out? I'd wager that you'd still exceed my best efforts... :D

Or as bonfire night approaches, use a rocket! I have heard of remote controlled boats being used for bait delivery!

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

During some sessions I lose the natural grip of my thumb which means I can't put in a big cast. I have tried a section of bike inner tube before, but if this touches the spool during the cast then the friction damages the line. Perhaps this is too grippy and I need something with grip, but not too much. Thoughts anyone?

I use to suffer the same problem when i used to go for a big cast and tried all above remedies that did not help to correct the problem, it was then i asked a very competent casting friend to look at my cast, first cast which i done in my usual not to much effort way was fine , but then when i went for the big one he saw the problem showed me the difference between the two i was doing, and i have not had a problem since.

I am not saying norfolk boy this might be what your doing, but i have not had to use any gripping device even when my thumb gets wet, i dry my thumb with a dryish rag if it gets to wet and mucky before i cast, my problem was a mental thing you know! you say in your brain i am gonna give it the big one and what happens? you cant hang on to it, well thats what happened to me anyway, cured now though........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly