Rod / Line weights

spug103

Hi all

Im a newbe going for my first proper lesson on saturday,

i want to get a budget set up to get me started, but i only really have a budget well under £100 (dont laugh too hard)

I have heard many different things about what to look for,

one person said a #5-6 rod, another a #6-7 and another a #7-8,

all are agreed at a 9' 6" - 10' rod,

with a weight forward floating line,

one person was saying about a stiff acting rod being better is this to do with the line rating?

i will be learning at the tavistock trout fishery to start with with a view to fishing a few local rivers and resevoirs aswell occasionally. what sort of thing should i look for in the outfit i get, i just need something super cheap to get me started, i can save up to up grade it in bits later.

cheers

spug

Hi all

Im a newbe going for my first proper lesson on saturday,

i want to get a budget set up to get me started, but i only really have a budget well under £100 (dont laugh too hard)

I have heard many different things about what to look for,

one person said a #5-6 rod, another a #6-7 and another a #7-8,

all are agreed at a 9' 6" - 10' rod,

with a weight forward floating line,

one person was saying about a stiff acting rod being better is this to do with the line rating?

i will be learning at the tavistock trout fishery to start with with a view to fishing a few local rivers and resevoirs aswell occasionally. what sort of thing should i look for in the outfit i get, i just need something super cheap to get me started, i can save up to up grade it in bits later.

cheers

spug

I think the 6-7 rod 9-10ft will be ideal, enough finesse and enough power. One line only then #7 WF floating is your best bet.

As for getting everything for under £100, have a look for better quality 2nd hand stuff if you can. Fulling mill classic FM 9ft 7wt will cost about £60 new, heard good things about the rod.

Paul Singleton

Thanks Singy

so what does it mean to have a stiff action?

is it related to the rod weight no. ?

unfortunatly ive been looking for second hand gear for over a month with no joy but i shall still keep an eye out for some, all the local shops just keep trying to sell me expensive gear i cant afford, and to be honest id rather have a rubbish rod than none at all.

what item of kit would be the best to concentrate the money on at first, a better line or a better rod?

Thanks Singy

so what does it mean to have a stiff action?

is it related to the rod weight no. ?

unfortunatly ive been looking for second hand gear for over a month with no joy but i shall still keep an eye out for some, all the local shops just keep trying to sell me expensive gear i cant afford, and to be honest id rather have a rubbish rod than none at all.

what item of kit would be the best to concentrate the money on at first, a better line or a better rod?

Hi

Get in touch with Mike Barrio here

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/online-fish...ackle-shop.html

Mike had some good second hand rods and reels. He also sells one of the best fly lines at any price and will give you the best advice.

Tell him Dave Olley sent you :thumbs:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/