loch lomond

Dave Bourne

I will be spending a week in the loch lomond area soon and i can find any info regarding plug and jerk bait fish on the loch.

First up is it allowed and second what are the most productive types of lures,its nothing to serious just a hour or two here and there when i can get away from the kids.

I wouldn't pretend to be a Lomond expert, but I've fished it a lot, with reasonable success.

If you're out in a boat, then look for areas where the wind comes into bays and curves in the bank. Some of the "harbours" have shallows either side of them, they can be hotspots. Try and find drop offs, which are spotable in sunlight, where the water goes from light (shallow) to dark. Run a lure from the shallow, over the ledge, as if it's a feeding fish returning to deeper water. The pike will come up and grab the lure (hopefully), if they are hiding over the lip of the ledge.

If the Loch is clear, the fish will be hiding in the deeper water, I reckon. If the wind comes up, they seem to like shelter. Just after a strong wind, the water can be quite cloudy in some areas, the fish can really switch on then. If you can do it, daybreak is a good time after a dodgy night.

If you're not in a boat, then you can still do very well. I like legered smelts for the larger fish. Again, find a bay with the wind pushing into it, and fish it as you would a smaller lake.

Baits are available locally, do a google search for a tackle shop, phone them up and make sure they have some in stock. It can be a long haul to another shop, so it's worth the investigation first. Although a shop may say it has bait in stock on its website, doesn't mean they'll have some when you get there.

Plugs and jerkbaits are fine, but don't forget a copper spoon or three.

These ideas are just from my own experiences. other may have more ideas. What you have to remember is, Lomond can be addictive. once you've fished it once, you'll be going back a few times.

One more thing. Sometimes the Loch can be in a state of flat calm. I've found the shallows to be vey good when this happens.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Before i start i would like to point out i am not a lure angler.

I come from glasgow and have fished lomond quite alot, but i am by no means an expert on it.

If you are boating then i would suggest south of balmaha harbour around the mouth of the endrick. There is a large sand bank due to the sediment from the river and there have been many large fish caught there. I'm assuming you are piking, but theres a good chance of a salmon and/or brown/sea trout about there aswell. I would tend to stick to the east bank of the loch, the majority of the west bank is very faceless.

I would give the central islands a bash aswell, canny mind there names sorry :headhurt:

Dave Bourne and Gerald - welcome to you both.

Gerald - lure fishing is lots of fun and you really might want to give it a go one of these days.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I will be spending a week in the loch lomond area soon and i can find any info regarding plug and jerk bait fish on the loch.

First up is it allowed and second what are the most productive types of lures,its nothing to serious just a hour or two here and there when i can get away from the kids.

hi m8 , use a wire trace my friend there are some monster pike in there tight lines. :thumbs:

Dave Bourne and Gerald - welcome to you both.

Gerald - lure fishing is lots of fun and you really might want to give it a go one of these days.

Cheers man.

A good friend of mine swears by it. I do mostly pike fishing and just haven't got round to giving it a proper go with the right gear, such as jerkbaiting etc. Mainly due to finance, seems quite expensive.

Cheers man.

A good friend of mine swears by it. I do mostly pike fishing and just haven't got round to giving it a proper go with the right gear, such as jerkbaiting etc. Mainly due to finance, seems quite expensive.

It is expensive especially as every time you get to a tackle shop you seemingly end up buying more lures (is all subliminal too f*x must have some sort of gas they release that make you buy more lures)

I wouldn't pretend to be a Lomond expert, but I've fished it a lot, with reasonable success.

If you're out in a boat, then look for areas where the wind comes into bays and curves in the bank. Some of the "harbours" have shallows either side of them, they can be hotspots. Try and find drop offs, which are spotable in sunlight, where the water goes from light (shallow) to dark. Run a lure from the shallow, over the ledge, as if it's a feeding fish returning to deeper water. The pike will come up and grab the lure (hopefully), if they are hiding over the lip of the ledge.

If the Loch is clear, the fish will be hiding in the deeper water, I reckon. If the wind comes up, they seem to like shelter. Just after a strong wind, the water can be quite cloudy in some areas, the fish can really switch on then. If you can do it, daybreak is a good time after a dodgy night.

If you're not in a boat, then you can still do very well. I like legered smelts for the larger fish. Again, find a bay with the wind pushing into it, and fish it as you would a smaller lake.

Baits are available locally, do a google search for a tackle shop, phone them up and make sure they have some in stock. It can be a long haul to another shop, so it's worth the investigation first. Although a shop may say it has bait in stock on its website, doesn't mean they'll have some when you get there.

Plugs and jerkbaits are fine, but don't forget a copper spoon or three.

These ideas are just from my own experiences. other may have more ideas. What you have to remember is, Lomond can be addictive. once you've fished it once, you'll be going back a few times.

One more thing. Sometimes the Loch can be in a state of flat calm. I've found the shallows to be vey good when this happens.

Thanks for the information Dunk, i have done a bit of pike fishing over the years but i mostly plug for bass during the summer months. I've never had a double on lures though and this is just to good an opportunity to miss.

I will mostly be around the northern half of the loch so will be heading for the Audlui area which I've heard produces good fish.

When i get back i will open this post again to let you know how i do.

Thanks also to the others that have replied.

Most of the loch is devoid of coarse fish.

It's the southern end (which is typical of a shallow lowland loch) where most of the coarse fish are.

Further North, where it becomes a highland loch, the water is deep and acid, although there are some shallow bays containing coarse fish.

You can hire rowing boats at Balmaha.

When I was there several years ago, if you happend to mention that you were going fishing, you'd be charged a cheaper rate than for the usual tourists.

There was a shoal of perch in Balmaha bay, just under the big white boat, if it's still there.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info guys just got back managed an hour or two here and there all lure fishing several fish mostly small best of the lot was this 14lb'er very pleased with it fought really hard even took me into a weed bed at one stage but steady pressure brought it out ok.

All in all a good trip.817733004_e6d5fefa32.jpg