Learning To Fish

Elton

Posted on behalf of Shaun. Please add all replies to this thread:

I have two young lads aged 12 and 13 who have just taken up fishing at moment they are just using whip rods should they go onto rod and line or a pole which is best, and can they get fishing lessons in my area Hull East Yorkshire?

Thank You

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

my twin boys are 12, and started fishing with myself 3 yrs ago. we all started off on light float tackle. my self and one t#of the lads have stuck very much to rod and line, now using feeders too, but the other lad asked for a whip, and has now bought himself an 8m 'beginners' pole with his birthday money.

So really i think the thing is to let them try all methods, and they will find the method they like best.

Whereabouts in East Yorkshire are you? I live in Beverley, and tend to use the tackle shop near Catwick - Westlands. I bought a whip rod there for only six quid, and you can get budget rods there too, and personally they've given me sound advice in the past and i would recommend them.

If you're anywhere near my neck of the woods, a good place for youngsters to start is Risby, on the Orchard Pond. It's realatively easy fishing, and a great place for kids to learn 'their trade'.

Hope this helps,

Ian

my twin boys are 12, and started fishing with myself 3 yrs ago. we all started off on light float tackle. my self and one t#of the lads have stuck very much to rod and line, now using feeders too, but the other lad asked for a whip, and has now bought himself an 8m 'beginners' pole with his birthday money.

So really i think the thing is to let them try all methods, and they will find the method they like best.

Whereabouts in East Yorkshire are you? I live in Beverley, and tend to use the tackle shop near Catwick - Westlands. I bought a whip rod there for only six quid, and you can get budget rods there too, and personally they've given me sound advice in the past and i would recommend them.

If you're anywhere near my neck of the woods, a good place for youngsters to start is Risby, on the Orchard Pond. It's realatively easy fishing, and a great place for kids to learn 'their trade'.

Hope this helps,

Ian

there is a place near beverley, called the blue lagoon, i don't remember the exact location, but it is full of slabs around 4-8lbs, if your lads enjoy fishing the feeder thats a good place to start, it also has some very large perch which can be caught down the margin.the only drawback is that it is very deep and gets deep quickly so to fish any distance from the bank you really need to use a feeder or slider float. it is run by hull das, if you ask your local tackle dealer they should see you right.

there is a place near beverley, called the blue lagoon, i don't remember the exact location, but it is full of slabs around 4-8lbs, if your lads enjoy fishing the feeder thats a good place to start, it also has some very large perch which can be caught down the margin.the only drawback is that it is very deep and gets deep quickly so to fish any distance from the bank you really need to use a feeder or slider float. it is run by hull das, if you ask your local tackle dealer they should see you right.

I've got the Hull DAS booklet and blue lagoon isn't listed, and I've not heard of it. Anyone know where this might be, I wouldn't mind checking it out for myself......?

I've got the Hull DAS booklet and blue lagoon isn't listed, and I've not heard of it. Anyone know where this might be, I wouldn't mind checking it out for myself......?

a couple of years back, i stayed at a campsite in newort calld sandholme lodge included in the price was access to various waters, it might not have been hull das who controlled the lagoon , but you could fish that pool, the tilery, a couple streches of the market weighton canal , the brandesburton pools and a couple of others, have a look at thhe link below it gives you al the relevant info.

mooserx :thumbs:

http://www.hdaa.freeserve.co.uk/venues.htm

The rod and line is certainly more flexible than a pole. Beginners often have a little trouble turning the reel handle the wrong way and getting tackles but in the longer term it is worth sticking with it. I started off with a 'whip' which in fact was the top two sections of one of my fathers rods with the line tied to the top eye! Not long afterwards I was given a rod and reel and that (and its replacements) lasted me for about 20 years before I got my first pole.

You can fish a waggler or a stick float on lake or river. At a pinch you can get away with fishing a straight lead with a float rod. Certainly you can fish up in the water for carp with one and a waggler or bubble float. I would go with the rod and line option and create proper all round anglers then they can move onto a pole as they progress.

To find a coach in your area, try the local commercial waters, or look at these web sites

http://www.allthingspiscatorial.com/

http://fishcoach.org/

Also National Fishing Week is coming up so there should be an event near you. See this website. the coaching is free there and there should be coaches available who will be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.nationalfishingweek.co.uk/index.php