My first barbel!

Aaron1976

In all honesty I've just about given up on digital scales. I'm on my 2nd set of Rapala's and one pair of Salter's. I'm dubious about the accuracy of all of them once a set of batteries have been in for more than one trip. I'm back to my trusty old Avon's.

Paul

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just for comparison, this weighed in at 9lb (my first barbel over 3lb)...

barbel.jpg

"Lets put this one back straight away....."

:D Well guys this did not fool me one bit, I know John has lost a lot of weight. :lol:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I'm back to my trusty old Avon's.

Can't beat 'em! Mine are 30 years old and as accurate as when they were new. As I often fish alone, a lot of my photos of fish have the Avons in them for size comparison. Trouble is, non-anglers assume they're matchbox-sized and you're proudly showing them a photo of a rather small fish... :(

I've only recently ditched the original pouch that went with the Avons - it wasn't worn out, but it was made of a sort of "leatherette" material that, if it got wet, stayed wet for a *very* long time.

As a footnote to this thread: Size is relative anyway. For instance, a 1lb 8oz grayling from the headwaters of the Dove might be considered a far 'greater' catch than a 1lb 8oz grayling from the Welsh or Derbyshire Wye... so whatever size Neil G's barbel, in relative terms it may well be a 'real monster'.

Not at all mate...a friend has had 15 & 16lb Barbel out of the stretch and it attracts lots of Barbel anglers from around the country.

I think the combination of weirs and good fast gravel runs etc make it perfect....also very good when it comes to pike fishing as well despite the very steep banks, lack of room and snags !

Even if it wasn't a double when you caught it Neil, with the length of time spent discussing it's weight on here, I bet it's grown into one. :D;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Even if it wasn't a double when you caught it Neil, with the length of time spent discussing it's weight on here, I bet it's grown into one. :D;)

John.

:clap:

A legend :D

Not at all mate...a friend has had 15 & 16lb Barbel out of the stretch and it attracts lots of Barbel anglers from around the country.

That's great! Lucky man!

He is a lucky chap plus a good Barbel angler....really knows the swims well

The stretch of water I fish is pretty gnarly but sure packs some great fish....I had a 18lb pike out last week within five minutes of casting my bait in!

The Avon (Limpley Stoke & Avoncliff) does have a good reputation for Barbel..I think I'd be stupid not to fish for them every now and again !

Oh yes..... :thumbs:

Can't beat a good scrap with river pike...they even 'get their own back' when you get your fingers scraped on the gill rakers, pronged by a treble or gashed by one of their teeth !

Seems all this wet/cool weather isn't doing the pike fishing too much harm apart from making the river a little quicker & more coloured than usual.