4000 Reel Sizing

Angly

For those who like Shimano reels I see that 4000 is the preferred size for a leger reel. Are Shimano 4000s now a lot smaller than they used to be? I have a trusty old Shimano SSG 4000 X still going strong that is huge (by my standards), with a spool skirt diameter of 60mm.

Could anyone tell me how big the new 4000s are?

Geoff

Geoff

Ask a chinese person mate!! that is where ALL reels come from with SHIMANO on them!!!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Ask a chinese person mate!! that is where ALL reels come from with SHIMANO on them!!!

Well now I'm confused, I asked my Chinese neighbour and he said try asking on an angling forum...go figure!

Incidentally some of my Nikon lenses are also made in China, small world huh?

Original Q still remains though, diameter of modern Shimano 4000 spool anyone (something from the P3 range maybe)?

Geoff

Geoff

The question really can't be answered since Shimano has a wide range of reels and quite a few of them include a '4000' version but they do not all have identical spool sizes.

shimano.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Ah, actually I think that does in part answer my question Newt; 4000 isn't a set size, and so my aging 4000 size SSG probably is a bit larger than the modern P3 4000 range that I so often see recommended for leger work. Now it all makes sense...kind of.

Thank you.

Geoff

Ah - glad it helped, kind of. :lol:

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well Newt, having now delved a little deeper, I find that based on the spool capacity of 12lb-340yds, my old 4000 SSG is slightly bigger than the current 8000 size Baitrunners! No wonder I thought it odd people recommend this size for everyday leger work!

See, I just needed a nudge in the right direction! :rolleyes:

Geoff

Geoff

chris,

you mentioned they were from china but you didnt mention thier superior quality!

I use technium 4000 reels for my lure fishing, for general ledger work, I would opt for 5000 baitrunnersor something of a similar size.

Whilst were on reels, has anyone seen/used the fox stratos range? I noticed ian welch and a few others raving about them and rating them best in class, only to pick 2nd to top model up and feel how truly horrible, cheap and plasticy it was. Those reels wouldnt last me 2 mins, but they come with spool reducers............WOW.