I caught a record dace!

Anderoo

He has John, but he now thinks that sugar comes in 4 3/4 lb bags. :rolleyes:

John.

You mean it DOESN'T? :o

I'm going to run a few tests later when I get home and put the results up here tomorrow or the day after. I don't think it'll give me any better idea of what the dace weighed (I think these particular scales get confused by anything under a pound) but I reckon it'll shed some light on the barbel weight. I have an idea of what to expect - if I'm right, all it'll prove that it's impossible to estimate the weight of fish from a photo, even by experienced anglers.

We shall see!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try bags of water for your test weights:

1 litre = 1 kg

1 pint = 1.043lbs

Geoff

Geoff

You sure it wasn't a chub? :P

Let me think - brassy scales, big white mouth, blunt head, black edge to the tail...no, definitely a dace :D

I did some tests on my scales and I reckon my guess of 8-10oz is about right. I'll call it 8oz and then hopefully catch a bigger one soon and weigh it on the old dials. Still, an 8oz dace - probably the best fish I'll catch this season :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest Rabbit
Get along to a bootfair and buy a cheap crappy pair of old scales that come with weights.

Throw away the scales and keep the weights, using them from time to time to check the accuracy of your scales at different weights.

If the scales have drifted out (as they do from time to time), you'll at least know by how much, and when you get around to it, you could get them re-calibrated (or renewed depending on age and condition).

There's absolutely no point in carting around a set of scales that are inaccurate.

You might just as well guess the weight.

And it's so nice to know that when you weigh a special fish, they aren't lying to you.

(I always check the scales at home, after weighing a good fish, just to be sure)

Well done on the dace, one of my favourite fish! :)

Quite right, and there is no need to spend a lot of dosh on the avons as well I have got a cheapie set I was going to replace, thought i would check the accuracy by weighing a litre of water and 2 litres in milk cartons. Suppose to be a kilo for each litre I believe and was bang on the money. So my cheapie scales have a new lease of life..if not any tackle tart credibility :rolleyes: