Barbel - running leger lead link

klonker

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your preferred link (the bit the main line passes through): curtain ring, flexi ring swivel, Big Eye Swivel.....?

As with so many questions on here mate, it depends a lot on where, and in what conditions your fishing.

I mainly fish 'small' rivers, so at times it just calls for a shot pinched on the line, sometimes not even that. If I need to hold a bait in a particular spot, or cast a bit farther, then I use a Swan Shot link leger.

Those who fish the Severn, or Trent where depth, flow and distance play a bigger part will have their own preferences.

If you said where, and what type of water your fishing, then you will get a more definitive answer.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Not specifically for barbel, but for any running leger rig for a river (chub, perch, etc.) I use a wide-bore run ring with about 4" of 15lb mono tied to it and then either swan shots nipped on or a link swivel tied in the end to allow quick changes of leads. (If using swan shots I tie a knot in the end of the line to prevent them slipping off.) This is all held above the hooklength swivel with a bead.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

As with so many questions on here mate, it depends a lot on where, and in what conditions your fishing.

I mainly fish 'small' rivers, so at times it just calls for a shot pinched on the line, sometimes not even that. If I need to hold a bait in a particular spot, or cast a bit farther, then I use a Swan Shot link leger.

Those who fish the Severn, or Trent where depth, flow and distance play a bigger part will have their own preferences.

If you said where, and what type of water your fishing, then you will get a more definitive answer.

John.

Point taken. Fast water, the Trent, 6 - 9ft deep, weedy. Fishing minimum 2oz, but up to 5oz of lead - usually a gripper.

I've had problems with those kind of clips coming open. I'm guessing you haven't though, else you wouldn't use them :)

Those are what I use, but I take the clip off them and tie the 15lb line straight to the run ring.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've had problems with those kind of clips coming open. I'm guessing you haven't though, else you wouldn't use them :)

True, but then I haven't been using 5oz leads on them. :)

True, but then I haven't been using 5oz leads on them. :)

Me too Davy, the last time I used anything near that weight, was fishing for cod off Flamborough.

Sorry klonker, I can't be much help on this one.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John