Barbel - running leger lead link

klonker

So, I've been fishin' a gripper running on the main line (12lb) with a weaker hook link (10lb), a bead below the lead to guard the knot, and a float stopper about 12" up the main line. What would you call that.... a semi-bolt/semi-running rig? I'm guessing here, but having tightened down to the bead, with this setup I assume the fish hooks itself at the same time you detect the bite ? The 12" alows the fish to 'knock' the rod tip not the lead?

If your lead snags with a fish on with that rig all you can do is pull for a break and lose the fish. You'd be better off fishing 12lb mainline to a three-way swivel (or similar) 12lb to the hook and a short link of about 8lb to the lead. Don't worry about fish knocking the rod tip, just be ready to stop the rod flying in! With only 8lb line to a 5oz lead, don't try any pendulum casting!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

klonker, I used to use a run ring, but I now opt for bolt rigs with saftey clips. Just use a baiyt runner and wait for the reel to scream off, no need to strike just life into the fish. I have used feeders up to 6 oz when loaded and a 1.5 oz flying backlead and it usually stays in situ until weed or branches etc hit the line.

The reason I have a length of line between the run ring and the weight is to allow the line to be pulled while not moving the weight. If you imagine how it looks under tension (casting downstream), the weight is downstream of the ring, so when a fish pulls downstream the line between the ring and weight becomes slack and the only tension is the quiver tip/bobbin.

yes, yes, yes :) that's the theory, but if there is a great angle between the rod tip and lead, i'm not sure of the efficiency of this.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

yes, yes, yes :) that's the theory, but if there is a great angle between the rod tip and lead, i'm not sure of the efficiency of this.

True, who knows what it's actually like down on the bottom - but I definitely get better (hittable) perch and chub bites this way. But, again, I doubt it makes any difference with barbel!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest Rabbit

Me too, the fact that the line is at a steep angle will result in fish knocking the line (line bites) and can spook them. When possible it is better to almost point the tip of the rod at the water, a lesser angle on the line will reduce line bites.