ENERGISER 3 LED HEAD TORCH

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Have you tried using the red for hunting lobs at night?

I used to cover the lens of a torch with brown paper to stop them diving into the ground as their obviously light sensitive skin detected the beam.

I now use a led headlamp (frees up both hands for worm grabbing), but mine has green as the low-light option. I'm wondering if red would perform better.

(By the way, I close my eyes as I flick through the bright led to the low power light to retain my night vision)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I too use this torch and it's absolutely brilliant. I vary rarely use the bright led light, most the time it is the red light. No need to switch through different modes to get each light, you simply switch it it to the left or right for each diffferent function.

Paul

I have the next model up. Great little torch but two things would dramatically improve it as a sports/fishing tool. It could do with being at least partially water resistant so that a stormy night or a splash from a wave doesn't leave you groping in the dark. It would also benefit from having seperate function and power controls so that if you only want to use the red LED for baiting up or changing a lure, you don't have to cyle through all the other illumination options, spooking fish, giving away your position and ruining your night vision in the process.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Leon - Newt kindly gave me a green LED torch that clipped onto a cap. I haven't tried it myself as I already had my Energiser, so I gave Newt's one to my disabled brother who didn't have a torch. I can't therefore comment on how good green is in practice.

As I mentioned in my review I found dim red lights excellent for astronomy, but have compared them only with white.

Ken - I too looked at a higher spec Energiser model with extra LEDs that Argos also sell. I chose the less expensive 3 LED model precisely because you can choose red light without having to cycle through any other options. Originally Argos didn't even mention that there was a red light option in their catalogue, but I see they do now, although they still don't say anything about being able to get red light without having to turn the white light on first. BTW, I find the white setting perfectly bright enough for lighting up a path; in fact like Seph I use the red light a lot more.

As you say, it would be preferable if the lights were waterproof rather than just weatherproof but, as I mentioned in the review, I've had total reliability over almost 2 years, including in heavy rain.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Usefull review Steve. I may very well go out and pick up the cheaper version for beach fishing in India where light on the water is a real no no and a red LED is enough to change lures or unhook a fish.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest tigger

It's strange how fish are spooked by a torch and other times it can attract them. I was fishing for Tench the other week and my m8 kept leaving his head lamp on whilst and after casting out. I kept telling him to "stop shinning that fukcin lamp on the water" you'll scare off the fish. Anyway we had a decent session and were packin up with our headlamps switched on when my m8 said "so much for scarin the fish ,look there's a shoal of Tench".

I looked round with my lamp blazing in the water and there was a shoal of about half a dozed Tench "around 3 to 5 lb mark" just cruzing round not more than 5 ft away from me and even stopping now and again to have a suck at something on the bottom totally oblivious of the lamp!